Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play: Resident Evil 5 w/GiglameshDespair  (Read 1285 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Let's Play: Resident Evil 5 w/GiglameshDespair
« on: May 19, 2016, 04:03:00 pm »

Resident Evil 5 is a horror-themed third-person shooter with optional co-op. There are survival horror aspects of it but the campaign is level-based and thus there is rarely any stress for resources, since at any time you can replay previous levels.

We've already recorded up to Chapter 2-1, and in our playthrough we're playing on the hardest difficulty (Professional), starting as if we're playing a New Game. So that means we get none of our upgraded weapons or Nairas (currency) from previous playthroughs.

You actually have to go out of your way to do this since the only way to start a fresh save is to go into the game files and delete your old one, and on a totally fresh save Professional difficulty is locked. So what we've had to do, since you can discard items but you can't throw away money, is sell items until we had exactly enough money to buy items such that we would have exactly 0 Nairas left over, then discard those items we purchased. And in this way we could play on Professional with a totally fresh start.

We've also agreed on these challenges:
 - No replaying previous chapters.
 - No infinite ammo (which is an upgrade you can earn for specific weapons by getting good ranks on chapters).

Parts:
Chapter 1-1
Chapter 1-2
Chapter 2-1 Part One
Chapter 2-1 Part Two
Chapter 2-1 End
Chapter 2-2 Part One
Chapter 2-2 End
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:46:43 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Resident Evil 5 w/GiglameshDespair
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 06:13:31 pm »

Not shown: us getting our asses kicked repeatedly.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:16:03 am »

Chapter 1-2 is up! In it, Chris and Sheva try to link up with Alpha Team in order to make good their escape from Kijuju after their cover is blown.

Some tidbits about combat: Every attack has a critical chance. Some guns can have their crit chance upgraded. When you shoot a humanoid Majini in the head and it's a crit, their head will explode, killing them instantly (this won't interrupt any attack they're already doing and sometimes they can make one last swing before they finally drop dead). The canned animation melee attacks you see us doing are extremely powerful, and we can set them up for specific attacks by shooting them in the corresponding limbs. The only advantage to any attacks for Chris and Sheva, that I know of, is that if you shoot a Majini in the leg and he falls to his knees, and you initiate melee on the victim while standing behind him, you'll perform an instant kill move, which is useful for killing Majini that can transform into deadlier enemies when they're damaged.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 10:54:14 am »

PTW!
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 01:06:05 pm »

Chapter 2-1 took us a whole hour so I divided it into three parts. The second part went up today.

I'm not sure what I could talk about since the videos mostly speak for themselves, but if there are any questions about the game I'd be happy to answer.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 12:47:49 pm »

Chapter 2-2 is up as a two parter. After being rescued by Delta Team we head through a mine to continue the chase for Irving.