Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How long until wild GCS breed ?  (Read 4180 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long until wild GCS breed ?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 04:31:50 am »

It doesn't take a huge amount of time for a trained critter to revert to wild, so training the spiders and then pasturing them in a room locked with a drawbridge ought to work. Lower the drawbridge when the spiders and their offspring have reverted to wild, and have a sufficiently long array of cage traps outside.

The offspring spiders (not spiderlings, as they're born adult) will be of the training level of their mother, and thus will usually be trap avoid initially.

If you can't get your spider directly from the chain to the cage, you might try to pasture it in between. It shouldn't be intended, as I see no reason to intend it.

In principle it should be possible to use gui/gm-editor to create pregnancy, but I have no idea of how the genetic stuff works.
Toady fixed the marriage issue with animals recently, but he did it backwards, i.e. some animals are still generated as having only lover interest, and the fix is to ignore this restriction for breeding animals, rather than blocking the lover interest state from appearing on animals (possibly because the former would apply to existing saves, but I'd still have done the latter as well, for all new animals).

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 06:01:33 am »

[...]and have a sufficiently long array of cage traps outside.[...] and thus will usually be trap avoid initially.

This is the problem, an array of cage traps will most likely not work... Right now I'm testing if new-born GCS won't be trap avoid if the mother is already reverted to wild before she gives birth. Let's see how this works out.

I also tried to tinker with pregnancy, I wanted to just copy the gene entry of another pregnant GCS to a wild one, but I wasn't able to find out how I can overwrite correctly the "nil" value. the tam GCS had <unit_genes: 0x50b974c0> as value, but I don't know how to actually write it into there.

Also, is it possible to make a formerly tamed GCS completely UntamedWild again, or remove the trapavoid token ( couldn't find it in gui/gm-editor)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 06:07:18 am by hanni79 »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 08:01:07 am »

Giant Cave Spiders are not [TRAPAVOID] - they are [WEBIMMUNE].
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2016, 08:04:51 am »

Giant Cave Spiders are not [TRAPAVOID] - they are [WEBIMMUNE].

Uuh ... but don't they become (and stay) [TRAPAVOID] when tamed ?
Anyway, my Science just got some result, taming the GCS indeed made them able to get pregnant, also, the first GCS to revert to wild state gave birth and those young GCS were NOT [TRAPAVOID].
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 08:10:26 am by hanni79 »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2016, 11:53:38 am »

Tamed critters don't trigger traps, just as citizens and visitors don't. As soon as a tamed critter reverts it should be possible for it to be caught in a trap (gremlins excepted), and that's distinct from being trap avoid. I drop my GCS onto a cage trap when I turn off my silk farm (at that time the GCS has reverted to wild) and has never had that fail.

Edit:
gui/gm-editor allows you to change the level of training on critters. I set gremlins who've been accepted as citizens to fully tame, because their retraining is badly bugged, so it's a significant pain to perform it (and citizens ought not to be treated as animals at all, but I can't change that).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:56:18 am by PatrikLundell »
Pages: 1 [2]