Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question: Clothing Colouration?  (Read 727 times)

Cthulhu_Pakabol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question: Clothing Colouration?
« on: May 21, 2016, 12:51:33 pm »

Hey, so, this is a bit of a weird question, but I think I've heard some things in the past about civ/entity "uniforms" (still not entirely sure what that term entails) having a certain common colour. I'm not sure if this is actually the case, but if it is, what exactly does color mean? It's not presented in any identifiable way in-game (for example, you don't look at a cloak and see "red (insert fibre of your choice) cloak" or anything like that. Is the "color" of items defined by the materials themselves? And on that subject, is it possible to give clothing and the like randomized or organized colouring? For example, everyone in a civ wearing clothing/armor of the same colour, or people wearing randomly coloured clothes? I know weapons can have adjectives, but I'm not sure if the same applies to clothing, or if colors would work the same way.

I probably could've worded this better, but my grasp on the whole thing is shaky at best. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, clarification would be mightily appreciated!

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question: Clothing Colouration?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 01:47:45 pm »

It's not presented in any identifiable way in-game (for example, you don't look at a cloak and see "red (insert fibre of your choice) cloak" or anything like that. Is the "color" of items defined by the materials themselves?
pretty much. for the vast majority of things it defaults to the one in the material templates. the only place where players can really affect the colors of things is by dunking thread/cloth in dye

And on that subject, is it possible to give clothing and the like randomized or organized colouring? For example, everyone in a civ wearing clothing/armor of the same colour, or people wearing randomly coloured clothes? I know weapons can have adjectives, but I'm not sure if the same applies to clothing, or if colors would work the same way.
nope. dwarves just don't have any other dye options aside from the one extracted from dimple cups, so it might seem like a uniform setting

Mahesar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 02:31:09 am »

Hey, so, this is a bit of a weird question, but I think I've heard some things in the past about civ/entity "uniforms" (still not entirely sure what that term entails) having a certain common colour. I'm not sure if this is actually the case, but if it is, what exactly does color mean? It's not presented in any identifiable way in-game (for example, you don't look at a cloak and see "red (insert fibre of your choice) cloak" or anything like that. Is the "color" of items defined by the materials themselves? And on that subject, is it possible to give clothing and the like randomized or organized colouring? For example, everyone in a civ wearing clothing/armor of the same colour, or people wearing randomly coloured clothes?
I haven't messed with it much myself, but from what I can gather, it would seem that the color options for uniforms, lets you.. well.. specify the color of the (non metal) items in the uniform. For example, if the uniform includes clothing as well as armor, such as cloaks, hoods, mittens ect, then it will use ones dyed the specified color if at all possible.

Assuming you aren't using any plant based mods, then you're pretty limited on your color options; dark blue (from dimple cups) is always possible, and the other 3 colors, red (hide root) black (silver barb) and light green (blade weed) are only available if they happen to be growing on the surface for you to harvest/grow.

Using workshops set to take from stockpiles that only allow the specific dye you want to use will let you choose what color you dye your thread/cloth that you use to make the clothing.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 10:25:40 pm »

You can choose colors when designing uniforms, but as Mahesar said there isn't much leeway in vanilla.  There were some work-arounds involving selecting uniform items by color (for example, you couldn't specify a "bone helm" while you could specify a "white" one), but I'm not sure if those are even relevant any more.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map