Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spooky action at distance  (Read 1294 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Spooky action at distance
« on: May 17, 2016, 09:45:35 am »

So, in my current "more serious" (I'm already planning 3 new ones :p) fort, I had central stairwell QSP minecart start mauling my dwarves. Thought it was due animal dodging or something, sighed and moved it into a restricted side corridor 10 tiles away (pictured in avatar). [That QSP wasn't needed anyway.]

Naturally, the minecart kept mauling my dwarves in main stairwell without moving from said corridor. Annoying, but managed to fix it by mucking with forbidding/stockpiles iirc. Or was it routes?

However, it occurs to me that stopping isn't really so interesting as starting it and using it, given the possibility of compact entranceway traps by multi-cart smashing on 1 tile.

Those who have done this sort of ghost cart trap, what designs did you use?
How well did it compare to other trap options?
Does a vengeful minecart spill it's load when crushing on goblins?
Will one filled with magma also set them on fire?

Discuss non-present murderweapons here  :)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky action at distance
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 10:21:25 am »

Is this in any way related to the thing where falling minecarts "hit" a creature through a floor? That's the only similar bug I've every heard of.
Akur Akir Akam!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 10:52:25 am »

Possibly, they were bleeding out on z-level below though not where the cart used to lay - rather, because they took a job at smelter in the opposite direction from new place.

Sadly, a falling cart system would be rather more complicated, not as stackable and would require power, unless it percolates through minecart stack.

Thus, the interest in this :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:57:40 am by Fleeting Frames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 05:09:33 pm »

I've never heard of this bug before. Maybe you can see if you can replicate it. If you can work out when and how it happens then people can work with it.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 09:36:31 pm »

Ok, so wait. It hits the dwarf, and then when you remove the cart it it's still hitting the dwarf?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:53:23 pm »

Pretty much. Tried to replicate by setting up the QSP again with same cart and releasing the dogs, but failed to get any injuries over a season. Honestly, if anything it reminds me of when keas cause injuries and deaths in my fort by making people dodge into minecarts.

On the flip side, I got the QSP working this time, so the setup wasn't the same anyway.

Mysterious, though at the very least it isn't related to the bug where minecart remains in travel when standing still (yellow v on routes/dwarves will not dump/haul it), given I could move it off.