Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chasm monsters  (Read 674 times)

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chasm monsters
« on: September 27, 2007, 12:29:00 pm »

I decided to genocide my chasm creatures.  I have plenty of bones from goblins, so bone bolts aren't an issue (yet?).  So I dug out all the minerals that would be rendered inaccessible, put a wide ledge at the end of my lava channel, so that the lava would spread and spill into the chasm all along that width (which it did), set up 4 rows of traps from the chasm into my fortress, moved my military to just behind the traps, and opened the floodgate to let the lava out.

End result:

Many bored dwarves and a smoking chasm.  That's right, no attacks came from the chasm.  Quite a disappointment, after all the work I went through to set it up.  Now my chasm has the red line down the middle, and I'm preparing for the Demons, which will no doubt destroy my entire fortress, either through !!Burning Mitten!! or out and out rampaging.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chasm monsters
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »

Did you have anything attacking from the chasm to begin with? Because it's possible to not have any chasm civ at all. In that case you only see random ambush-mode creatures.

I ended up flooding the chasm differently. For a while I had this tiny stupid little lava exit that was only like 3 tiles wide and was going to take forever to nuke the chasm, then I expanded it. I didn't see any monsters when I expanded it. I also had it set up so the chasm was completely bridged, guard-rail bridges were capping the ends, and I had locked doors blocking off access to the rest of the ledge. Ratmen were indeed pissed off and were dying to the few weapon traps I had on the other side of the doors. When I opened the doors after the chasm was nuked, I had to send a few military to do cleanup since there were ratmen hanging around on the ledge.
One swordsdwarf even miracle-dodged just to rub some more salt in the wound that I lost two champions and an artifact-maker :P

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 01:31:00 pm »

No, I had not had any attacks from the chasm at all, not even ambushes.  In fact, my cave river civilization (i.e. any attacks from the river) seems to be nonexistent as well.  My dwarves are only getting good through archery targets and sparring, and the occasional goblin who gets through my hallway of death (which I have determined I didn't actually need to build in the manner in which I did.)

Sarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »

I have pretty much the same situation Hapes, no chasm civ and I've only ever seen 4 frogmen from the river. Are you playing on a Calm map?

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:51:00 pm »

Eh, I don't think the threat matrix has much bearing on what you actually see, unless it really varies a lot.
I've had a calm map that has legions of ratmen, and frogmen in the river.
My Untamed Wilds also has legions of ratmen, but no river civ. Maybe biome has an effect? This map is a desert.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 01:00:00 am »

Best way to find out is to chasm a few hundred things and see if anyone comes out to play  :p

FWIW every map I've ever done has had at least ratmen, and some have had ratmen AND antmen. Never had batmen yet.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 08:23:00 am »

Batman blowgunner...

Ive never had a map that they didn't come out to complain about me chucking garbage down it.  Of course, by the time I do this I have a nice line of traps waiting.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 02:00:00 am »

I had Antmen this time ( Mmmm so many bones ) I set up guard bridges over my only crossing and set up a large chasm dump area absolutely covered with steel serrated blade traps, right out back of my Barracks with about 15 champion legendary in all fighting skills Marksdwarves constantly training and tons of fortifications. I've never had a reason to nuke them when they provide so many bones and do absolutely no damage. I had as many as 50 attack at once one time. Filled up my bone arrow room.