Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about temples  (Read 1106 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about temples
« on: May 13, 2016, 08:34:23 pm »

So by now I've approved the immigration of way too many interlopers, and they've brought with them all their different religions.  And there are TONS of religions in my fortress now.  We're like New York City without the atheists.

But now that I'm setting up a temple infrastructure to service the religiously inclined, I'm trying to figure out how to make these people happy without having to build three dozen temples.  Is the generic, catchall temple good enough to service these needs?  Should I try to pick the top five or so observed religions, give them all temples, then hope the Episcopalians don't start complaining about lacking a place of worship?  How much happiness do the niche religion-observers receive from attended the Unitarian church anyway?
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about temples
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 08:41:32 pm »

As of right now, one temple to no specified deity works just as well as 13 different temples each with one specific deity.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:16:43 pm »

Good to know.  I'll probably build a few others anyway, because Dwarf Fortress.  But that makes things much easier.  Thanks.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 03:02:52 am »

I recently (0.42.05) had some negative effects from expanding my religious institution set from a single pan religious site to a full set (retaining the original one):
Most every visitor thereafter came to visit my last temple, and spent half a year or more there, even if they were supposed to petition, research, or whatever. My visitor cap was set at 40, and I constantly had 25 or more visitors in that blasted temple (and two visitors were broken, i.e. constantly doing nothing at all, so the cap was effectively 38). All temples except the pan one were off limits to visitors, but that didn't stop them from declaring they came to visit the specific temple (but they didn't go there, just milled about, until I gave up and opened the temple up to the buggers).

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 07:52:34 am »

I don't let visitors into my dedicated temples just for that reason.