Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 656 times)

TranquilRage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: April 04, 2008, 05:59:00 am »

If you dig a channel that both fill from and empties into a brook will that channel always have flowing water in it? Or will it most likely be standing water?

If you dig a channel and flood it and later find you need to block that channel. Is there any way of dropping stone into it to dam it again? I.e. constructing a floor hatch with a wall on top, then opening the hatch. Or building walls on either side of the channel at Z+1 then building a wall over the channel and then destroying the supporting walls?

Unfortunately I am at work and cant currently test these, but I don't have enough work to do atm to not think about DF plans  :)

am a Verb

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 06:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by TranquilRage:
<STRONG>If you dig a channel that both fill from and empties into a brook will that channel always have flowing water in it? Or will it most likely be standing water?</STRONG>

It will be flowing water, suitable für water wheels

quote:
Originally posted by TranquilRage:
<STRONG>
If you dig a channel and flood it and later find you need to block that channel. Is there any way of dropping stone into it to dam it again? I.e. constructing a floor hatch with a wall on top, then opening the hatch. Or building walls on either side of the channel at Z+1 then building a wall over the channel and then destroying the supporting walls?

Unfortunately I am at work and cant currently test these, but I don't have enough work to do atm to not think about DF plans    :)</STRONG>

The only way to block the flow AFAIK will be to build a floodgate (maybe even 3 floodgates, one at the begin and one at the end of the channel as well as a third one to empty the channel, all of course connected to levers)

[ April 04, 2008: Message edited by: Proteus ]

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 09:21:00 am »

I believe you can build pumps along the area that you want to dam, and then you can get in there and build a wall, floodgate, or anything else you want that will block water.  You'll have to be able to get into the channel, though, so if you don't already have an accessible ramp or stairs, you'll have to dig some out somewhere.  Also, you have to make sure you have somewhere for the pumped water to go that isn't going to create more problems.