Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible new mod idea. Is it feasible?  (Read 1163 times)

SomeKif2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible new mod idea. Is it feasible?
« on: May 09, 2016, 05:49:45 pm »

First off I am brand new into DF modding. I haven't even tried the most basic raw modifications. In my experience in learning programming languages, I never learn anything following a tutorial. I am always much better off coming up with an idea and figuring it out as I go.

So here's the idea: a cyberman/borg style syndrome causing dwarfs (and other creatures) to mutate into a creature that can pass on the syndrome. First I would need a new venom that would cause skin to turn to iron (for quick identification and a defensive boost), a stinger to grow (to inject the venom of course), the creature to loose any intelligence it had, and either go berserk or change their greeting to stinging people (that works in fortress mode right?). I don't want them to bite because that would just be a less subtle version of a vampire. Eventually I would change it to be more DF themed (probably with insects), but for now this is what I'm going with.

I think this is within the realm of possibility considering that's basically how vampires pass on the infection (just with less body modification). Is there any reason why this shouldn't work? Is growing new body parts and changing skin composition even possible?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Possible new mod idea. Is it feasible?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 06:24:09 pm »

There's a mod that added Daleks and Cybermen from Doctor Who if you're interested in that specifically. It's a bit old so some minor updating will be needed, but not much, just adding in gaits I think. Even if you don't want Doctor Who-like cybermen, it should be decently easy to transfer what's in the mod to some new form that is what you want. So yes, it's definitely feasible.
MOD: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106091.0
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 09:28:02 pm »

The parts that are not feasible (at least currently) is changing the skin or adding a bodypart.  You can transform a creature into an entirely different creature (perhaps even one with iron skin and a stinger), but it would have its physical stats and appearance "rerolled" from scratch.

You can simulate iron skin by reducing the amount of damage they take, and you can have the interaction say that "X stings Y" in the game log, which might be close enough depending on the details of your envisioned mod.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

SomeKif2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:10:16 pm »

There's a mod that added Daleks and Cybermen from Doctor Who if you're interested in that specifically. It's a bit old so some minor updating will be needed, but not much, just adding in gaits I think. Even if you don't want Doctor Who-like cybermen, it should be decently easy to transfer what's in the mod to some new form that is what you want. So yes, it's definitely feasible.
MOD: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106091.0

I wasn't specifically looking for a cyberman mod. Just a creature that behaves like them by grabbing reinforcements form your army. I may look into helping update that mod though. That could be a fun way to get started in modding.

The parts that are not feasible (at least currently) is changing the skin or adding a bodypart.  You can transform a creature into an entirely different creature (perhaps even one with iron skin and a stinger), but it would have its physical stats and appearance "rerolled" from scratch.

That's actually better because I was planning on making them into a civ later and this would make it much easier.

Thanks for the feedback! I plan on getting started on this today and hopefully having at least an alpha to post here before next week.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 05:12:02 am »

It is worth noting that civilized creatures that induce a transformation on their enemies will not change the transformed creature's loyalty.  They will still be members of your civ.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 07:27:02 am »

It is worth noting that civilized creatures that induce a transformation on their enemies will not change the transformed creature's loyalty.  They will still be members of your civ.
Your syndrome could add a tag like CRAZED or OPPOSED_TO_LIFE, which would make them effectively attack everyone but each other, but then it's unlikely the "natives" could function as a civilized race.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map