Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Eating corpses / souls / hearts to gain strength or body size?  (Read 1183 times)

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey everyone normally i would be able to figure this out myself but im stumped when it comes to interactions.

Having replayed starcraft 2 heart of the swarm recently, i loved the primal zerg and how they worked by collecting essence to become stronger as well as kerrigan's transformation through the chrysalis.

My question is, is it currently possible through the use of interactions or something similar to target specific corpse parts such as the heart so that an adventurer can continually increase in attributes (i know attributes have a cap) or body size?

Im aware that a mod on here (cant remember the name) does something similar with megabeast hearts but its not a permanant thing.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 03:43:28 pm by Future »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Eating corpses / souls / hearts to gain strength or body size?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 05:00:14 pm »

It's tricky, because attribute changing syndromes don't stack.  However, there is a way to approximate this effect.  Give the material 100 seperate syndromes, each of them which raise the given attribute a tiny amount and each of them having a 1% chance of taking effect.  Each syndrome will operate like a "level up", with each level having a smaller chance of happening with every given heart (so it is sort of like having to eat more hearts for each new level).  The bean coffee in Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom uses this mechanism.

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 06:49:09 am »

Just tried your suggestion but syndromes dont seem to be permanent, im wondering if ill just have to wait and see if toady puts in something to have permanent effects. I guess i could use it as a temporary fix until such a thing is put in.
Thanks for your help though.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 07:34:39 am »

Syndromes are permanent if you don't give them an end time.

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 07:43:12 am »

Oh really? i was checking in arena mode, it said active effects with a countdown after i had eaten a plump helmet using your suggestion.
Perhaps it resets after it hits 0? ill try again.

Edit: Hmm maybe arena mode is bugged or something, my attributes didnt increase at all even when changing the percentage to 1000 as well as drinking dwarven wine gave me the inebriated syndrome and didnt go away after a while.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:13:40 am by Future »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 10:16:41 am »

The count in arena mode tells you how long the effect has been going on, it counts up, not down.  Permanent effects will just go up forever.

Also worth noting that DWF_STRETCH syndromes can be buggy when switching between viewer and control modes in the arena.  This shouldn't matter for permanent syndromes though.

Your attributes should increase if you wrote the syndrome correctly.  Try copying from the example vampire interaction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 12:42:49 pm »

-already mentioned, my bad :P-
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 12:46:40 pm »

Ah ok i didnt realise. Ill try it again but using the vampire example and in adventure mode.

Edit: thats strange i copied the vampire syndrome and tried it in adventure mode with various starting attributes (so the caps would be different) and there was no change.

Maybe syndrome attribute changes are bugged in the latest legacy version.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:31:25 pm by Future »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 07:16:41 pm »

It's tricky, because attribute changing syndromes don't stack.  However, there is a way to approximate this effect.  Give the material 100 seperate syndromes, each of them which raise the given attribute a tiny amount and each of them having a 1% chance of taking effect.  Each syndrome will operate like a "level up", with each level having a smaller chance of happening with every given heart (so it is sort of like having to eat more hearts for each new level).  The bean coffee in Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom uses this mechanism.

I use that style of interaction in my strange new world mod (which I havent updated in a year)
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com