Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: armored goblins  (Read 910 times)

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
armored goblins
« on: April 18, 2016, 11:29:31 pm »

I just got had a large siege, where I was pleasently suprised to see roughly 15 trolls(who all split off and started destroying burial receptacles.... grrrrrrr) and 20ish beak dogs(which I have never seen before!!!!) approach my cage trap and weapon trap lined entry.  After numerous training weapon traps were passed with 0 injuries(which the wiki contradicts and says are effective) I became frustrated. I (k) the goblins and realize that the majority of them are Iron ARMED and at least copper breastplate and helm!!!  I only have a few bronze armed units and mainly copper, I still wrecked them but I guess the wiki is not up to date?   Am I missing something?  I thought goblins should not be armed and relatively easy?

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: armored goblins
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 12:10:06 am »

Goblins are armed with whatever metals they have access to, although they can't make steel.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 04:38:38 am »

All "goblins" (they can be other races as well) are armed, except recruits (I had one who attacked a badger. I later collected a named badger from my cage traps...). "Goblins" frequently wear a metal helmet and a metal shield, but usually leather armor, although metal occurs occasionally. I've never seen goblin invaders wear full armor, though. Trolls can be unarmed, but clothed, savages, which I guess is what you got. Since they're building destroyers, it shouldn't exactly be surprising they started destroying buildings when there were no living things to smash instead.
And, that siege wasn't large. It was small-mid sized (There are parameters to specify how many invaders of various kinds they're allowed to send).

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 06:59:40 pm »

Sorry I forgot to add the 40-50 goblins who came with the rest.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 07:52:42 pm »

Yeah, goblinite.

Urist Sonuvagimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 07:03:48 am »

I just got had a large siege, where I was pleasently suprised to see roughly 15 trolls(who all split off and started destroying burial receptacles.... grrrrrrr) and 20ish beak dogs(which I have never seen before!!!!) approach my cage trap and weapon trap lined entry.  After numerous training weapon traps were passed with 0 injuries(which the wiki contradicts and says are effective) I became frustrated. I (k) the goblins and realize that the majority of them are Iron ARMED and at least copper breastplate and helm!!!  I only have a few bronze armed units and mainly copper, I still wrecked them but I guess the wiki is not up to date?   Am I missing something?  I thought goblins should not be armed and relatively easy?

The weapons in the cage traps are as effective as they are in hands of dwarves. It goes without saying that training weapons are just that - sticks, regardless used in traps or by military, and any attacks with them will glance off copper armor. Occasionally, very skilled soldiers can cave heads in with training weapons, but it is a rare occurrence (their punches and kicks will finish enemy sooner).

As for the armor, goblins can come equipped with copper/silver/iron weapons, helms, shields and breastplates, which are all effective against wooden weapons. Trolls will not get hurt as well, as their thick clothing, fat and muscle protect their vitals.

Perhaps, you were looking at the wrong wiki version? Make sure 42.06 is selected at the head of the article.

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 07:36:54 pm »

It twood not surprise me sonuvagimli it twood not suprise me.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 05:35:09 pm »

Yeah I have always had goblins arrive with at least SOME armor pieces on, usually iron. I've found it rare for them to not have access to it.

In my current fort, melting their gear is my sole source of iron.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 05:49:46 pm »

Training weapons are effective, in dodge-me traps. Getting hit by a stick: harmless. Falling 20 z levels after dodging it: that's gonna hurt.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 06:00:41 pm »

If you want traps to pose a threat to goblins you should really use glass discs or metal discs of copper, iron, bronze or steel. Only steel will be able to hurt goblins through all their armour material types, but all can sever hands and feet since goblins rarely wear metal gauntlets or boots.

Goblins are much less dangerous when their arms and legs end in stumps.  :D
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.