Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The game has changed a lot  (Read 533 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The game has changed a lot
« on: April 22, 2016, 04:59:05 am »

So the last DF I played was .34, and it was good and some forts did well and others died.

Came back after a while away to find .42, so I thought I'd give it a go.

I have no idea what's happening. The slightest bit of combat or death and all my dwarves decide to kill each other. My militia have just hacked each other up, and the lone survivor is dying of thirst but trying to kill anyone who comes near. 19 dead so far. I haven't had a fort past one year without everyone going emo at the slightest bit of anything.  Please help...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The game has changed a lot
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 07:24:40 am »

Odd, given that there's a fair amount of complaint about the absence of tantrum spirals...

There's some odd thing in 0.42.X where visitors seem to attack the fortress population when invaders are attacked (already captured ones) or arrive on the map, without any apparent reason for why (at least some of them come from civs at war with the enemies). This is by no way the norm, but it has happened.

You might try to dry up the tavern, as a tavern with staff serve alcohol that can lead to dead by alcohol poisoning as well as lethal brawls which aren't reported as crimes. Lethal brawls might result in tantrum spirals. Note that any staff assigned to the tavern will serve alcohol, so to dry it up you need to sack the performers as well. Visiting performers are not staff, and so, are harmless from that perspective.

Ordering dorfs to kill other citizens may very well lead to tantrum spirals, of course, when the attacked dorf's friends join in.

If you want more than sweeping guesses you'll have to provide more detail of what you do when things go pear shaped.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 02:33:11 pm »

Yeah, something else is definitely going on there. BLAZECOOKS had mass killings via goblins in the first two years, and not a single tantrum to date 7 years later.

Do you have anything else that might cause stress, or maybe an accidental tantrum spiral loyalty cascade is what I meant.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:42:17 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 03:13:11 pm »

Sounds more like a loyalty cascade.  Haven't people been reporting those ever since the tavern release?  I thought all of those instances were related to taverns somehow though, or kill ordering dwarves from your home caravan.  I doubt that happened by mistake though?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Plex

• Bay Watcher
  • Trapped in HFS, send toilet paper
    • View Profile
    • Welp
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 10:59:42 am »

Did you attack any traders/diplomats? It may or may not be a loyalty cascade.

If not, it's probably a combination of a tantrum spiral and horrible, horrible timing.
I ain't gonna sign on the dotted line!