Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Troll Scholars/Poets/Performers? (Updated)  (Read 821 times)

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Troll Scholars/Poets/Performers? (Updated)
« on: April 21, 2016, 09:36:17 pm »

Trolls can learn and speak, but I've never seen a Troll scholar, poet, or performer. Have any of you seen one?
I can understand Trolls not gaining those skills in world-gen, but you'd think post world gen they'd develope something... Perhaps one could force them to develope these skills somehow? I've seen posts of non-hostile trolls standing around, but they tend to continue breaking buildings (which is not condusive to a learning enviroment).
Thoughts?

Edit: After a couple hours of one sided debates and such with Trolls I decided to check the raws for various tags. I think because Trolls are only tagged [CAN_LEARN] rather than [INTELLIGENT] they don't have the [CAN_SPEAK] (which from my understanding is built into the [Int] tag). I'll come back with another edit after I have time to mod a world to have [CAN_SPEAK] Trolls and converse with them for a bit to see what can come of it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:36:32 pm by kingsableye »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Troll Scholars/Poets/Performers?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 10:14:14 pm »

Trolls aren't a civ. Only civ entities have art forms. And right now the only intelligent beings that can join civs are gorlaks, plump helmet men and animal men.

But yeah, would be nice to see everything else given a chance to civilise too. Maybe the current exclusive gorlaks and mushrooms club is a test to see how things work out before letting in every intelligent being.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 11:39:12 pm »

Someone should see if Trolls can actually become Dancers and Poets and such even if they aren't visiting.

In adventure mode I've seen fishery worker trolls and such, so they seem to be able to gain skills. (That was in 40.24 though)

Maybe its their [SLOW_LEARNER] tag, which prevents them from acquiring nobility.

If it's simply a requirement to be wild and then join a civ, try adding [LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES] to trolls. Note that trolls live underground so it could be that goblins and dwarves are the only ones with them.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 12:37:17 am »

Entertainers travel around so if you enable them you should be able to locate some sweet singing trolls in human towns.

SirFinbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 05:31:46 am »

Can I just say that this post and your quip about learning environments gave me a giggle this fine morning!  :D
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 06:42:25 am by SirFinbar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 03:26:44 pm »

Just from a short visit to the modern Kobold Camp with a bunch of trolls, they can definitely learn. Hell, they're pretty much seen as Long Term Residents by the way the game treats them, so they should be able to learn these things given time and the right tags.