Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Severed Adamantine Limbs...  (Read 1160 times)

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Severed Adamantine Limbs...
« on: April 24, 2016, 02:19:32 am »

So, I created a creature made entirely out of adamantine...

Everything seemed to be going alright, a few minor bugs not withstanding (such as inexplicably lacking the sense of sight), until I tried stress testing it in Adventure mode...

Having set the creature in question to [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE], I spawned myself in a human village looking for someone to assail me...

I soon happened upon a humble fisherman and craftsmen, who upon seeing me immediately beset my adamantine creature...

I must of pressed the '.' button five or six times before my creation was completely dismantled, limbs sliced and stabbed off by copper tools, and on more than a couple occasions, punched off by hand...

Let me just run that by you again, a human villager literally shattered what would basically equate to an Adamantine rod, twice the thickness of his arm, with his bare fists...

I've repeated this test enough to comfortably determine that this wasn't a fluke, so obviously I must have made a mistake somewhere, but I just can't find it...

Can any of you see anything?

Living metal tissue template:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Living Adamantine:

Creature:

Body:

Core:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:28:22 am by Sit_Rom.exe »
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Severed Adamantine Limbs...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 03:35:28 am »

I don't know off the top of my head what's wrong with what you tried, but...

Bronze colossi have a tag that essentially just says: take everything in this creature and make it bronze.

I tried applying that tag to some creatures I modded into fortress defense, but with steel instead, and it basically made them shrug off steel weapons and normal attacks.

You could try making a creature from steel or adamantine using that bronze colossus technique, and seeing how effective it is.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 04:10:01 am »

Bronze colossi have a tag that essentially just says: take everything in this creature and make it bronze.

A tag that...

You mean this?

Code: [Select]
[BODY:HUMANOID_NECK:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:HUMANOID_JOINTS:5FINGERS:5TOES]
[NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT]
[TISSUE:BRONZE]
[TISSUE_NAME:bronze:bronze]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:BRONZE]
[MUSCULAR]
[FUNCTIONAL]
[STRUCTURAL]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[CONNECTS]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:LAYER]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:BRONZE]

I have already utilized that in my creature, here:

Code: [Select]
[BODY:P_MANTLE:2EYES:HUMANOID_JOINTS:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:TEETH:RIBCAGE]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:L_ADAMANTINE:LM_TISSUE_TEMPLATE]
[TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:LM_TISSUE_TEMPLATE]

You could try making a creature from steel or adamantine using that bronze colossus technique, and seeing how effective it is.

That was actually the first thing I tried out, and you can still see it in my code(?)...

I actually ended up making a colossus from a custom metal that was capable of withstanding temperatures exceeding that of dragonfire...

After setting its [HOMEOTHERM] to 50,000 I just started wandering around, picking up children by their heads until their faces melted off of their blackened, smoldering skulls...

Ah, that was quite a fun day...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 04:27:03 am by Sit_Rom.exe »
"After a while I got fed up and threw my coins at him. The silver coins hit him in the body and shattered his upper spine. I sat there watching him slowly suffocate."

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 04:35:51 am »

I have no dice here, but have you tried removing the force multipliers?

Otherwise everything seems fine, but maybe you should include Use_Material_Template somewhere if the above doesn't work.

Posting your errorlog for the most recent playtest will help a LOT.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 05:08:26 am »

I have no dice here, but have you tried removing the force multipliers?

Is there a cap on how high you can push it?

I heard that some parameters have upper limits, and that if you go past these limits it circles back to being a very low value instead of a very high value...

Typically I would fact check the upper limits of parameters(as well myriad of other things ) myself, however the wikipedia articles on these subjects range between largely, to completely and utterly, uninformative...

Posting your errorlog for the most recent playtest will help a LOT.

Got it...

Oh, this doesn't look right...

Had to cut out a lot, overran the 40,000 word limit, tried to keep the pertinent bits...

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 05:44:15 am by Sit_Rom.exe »

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 06:49:31 am »

Try deleting your errorlog.txt and then loading the game again. Then you can post the entire contents of the log and only the important bits (i.e. what happened on this last run, not every run ever) will show up.
How do I do it? Prune juice.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 11:07:11 am »

It's not recognizing a material in that last entry, though as Roach said there is no telling if that's from your last run.

But what I think the thing going wrong is that adamantine has no elasticity to it, while bronze and steel do. Limb breakage gets a bit wonky with materials like this.

You can test this out by changing [IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:0] to [IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:30000] and possibly the same for the shear value.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Sit_Rom.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 07:55:48 pm »

I'd like to thank everyone for their assistance, but particularly to Trapezohedron, as well as anyone else involved in making me aware of/provided information regarding the eventlog...

I cannot stress how useful it has been in ironing out kinks...

Again, you guys have my thanks...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:57:20 pm by Sit_Rom.exe »