Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Library issues  (Read 590 times)

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Library issues
« on: April 20, 2016, 11:48:32 am »

I'm struggling to set up a fort library.

I have all the necessary furniture, I've assigned two scholars and bought one book from a caravan. Initially my dwarves were reading that single book over and over again, while the scholars pondered about some dwarfy stuff and gained a little experience in logician's skill. Then suddenly the book went missing, and I'm quite sure I can't put the blame on the visiting scholars as there were none. Perhaps I dumped and atomsmashed it by mistake, but it never happened to me before. The problem is that since then my scholars no longer visit the library, as they prefer to sit in the tavern instead.

Is it possible that it was taken by other kind of visitors, such as bards or diplomats? Is this expected behavior that dwarves don't work in the library if there are no books on the shelves, in other words, they'll never create their own books if I have no scholar visitors or bought books?

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Library issues
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 11:52:16 am »

Did it go missing from the library or from the stock screen?

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:15:58 pm »

Did it go missing from the library or from the stock screen?

Oh, it's still in the bookcase, my bad. Do you have other ideas why the appointed scholars stopped visiting my library, then?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:25:49 pm »

They probably have unfulfilled socializing needs, and will eventually get back to it. It also seems some dorfs have personalities that make them extremely unsuitable for their zone jobs (my first tavern keeper spent virtually all the time in temples [which probably saved a fair number of dwarven lives, but I didn't know that at the time], and several appointed scholars haven't bothered to set foot in the library [except possibly to read books, but not to perform their duties]).

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 01:25:26 pm »

They probably have unfulfilled socializing needs, and will eventually get back to it.
They've been socializing during the whole last season. Funny enough, I've just noticed that if I give them any task, like moving crafts to trade depot, one of them will head to the library straight away after finishing it. I reloaded the game 3 times and it happened every time. If left alone, he'll stay in the tavern.

But then again, most if not all my dwarves complain about feeling "lonely after being away from family for too long", even if they have no family or their wife stands next to them in the tavern, so maybe they're trying to fulfill something that's simply impossible to do.

It also seems some dorfs have personalities that make them extremely unsuitable for their zone jobs (my first tavern keeper spent virtually all the time in temples [which probably saved a fair number of dwarven lives, but I didn't know that at the time], and several appointed scholars haven't bothered to set foot in the library [except possibly to read books, but not to perform their duties]).
That could explain it. I guess I'll just appoint more scholars to see what happens.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 02:24:47 pm »

Dorfs are incredibly inept at fulfilling any need requiring more than a single step. Socializing seems to be purely random, so "speaking with friends" happens, but rarely, since it's pure chance that they happen to speak with a friend rather than a stranger (or someone they have a grudge with). They seem totally oblivious to the connection between making friends to get any friends or family, and thus rather recites poetry or simulates instruments than trying to make contact with others (well, probably nor rather, I assume it's chance, and there are more non contact enhancing activities than the single socialize one, if I've understood them correctly). It doesn't help that social contacts seem to decay with time if not reinforced.