Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire pit stop?  (Read 444 times)

Of Dust

• Bay Watcher
  • We are forged
    • View Profile
Vampire pit stop?
« on: April 23, 2016, 02:15:51 am »

My attempts to identify the vampire terrorizing my fort has been largely unsuccessful. Mandatory psychic screens of the entire population for thought-crime has rendered no viable suspects, and the citizens still find bloodless corpses in bedrooms from time to time.
However, I have noticed several vampires visit my fort to steal my books like the rest of the tourist trash.
Is it possible that these nefarious creatures of the night are using my fort like a road side pit stop and then heading off once they have drunk their fill?
If one must choose between excess of order or chaos, always choose chaos. From anarchy structure may arise, but from stagnation change will never come.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire pit stop?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 02:30:47 am »

Yes.
The vampire that visited my fortress spent the time in the tavern, though, without any feeding forays (I kept it under constant surveillance while it was there, and I didn't get any bloodless corpses either).

Edit:
Have you subjected all your citizens (and residents) to the Room Test*?

Room Test: Supply the fortress with a sufficient number of "rooms" for everyone and allow them to pick a room. Those who haven't picked one within a reasonable time are suspect. Vampires often fool you on the Room Test by ensuring they're elected mayor, thus tricking you into assigning them a room. Unless it's a visitor, it's probably the mayor.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 02:40:11 am by PatrikLundell »

Of Dust

• Bay Watcher
  • We are forged
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 03:09:38 am »

Yes, and that is where things get weird.
See i have had a surplus of 20 rooms for several years in game (i had planned for 200 dwarves then encountered the no migrants or caravans bug).
I checked the assign screen, and there were a couple of individuals who have still not chosen a room, but upon surveillance they were observed to eat and drink, and both had been present far longer than the bodies had been showing up.
My mayor is a legendary hammerdwarf, but she has also been with the fort far too long to be responsible.

Since the corpses started appearing after i stopped getting new migrants, i assumed it must have been one of my long term residents.
There was was one highly suspicious individual with a long list of past groups and faith in a rather curse prone sun goddess, but he then picked out a tavern room and began chugging ale.
There was an elf i noticed loitering around a crime scene despite no jobs in the area, but she has none of the tell tale signs and has a room.

The visitors are really the only suspects i have left.
Rather amusingly, one claimed to witness my Swordsmaster make a kill, but she was still walking in the gate when the body was found and the Swordsman's alibi checks out.
If one must choose between excess of order or chaos, always choose chaos. From anarchy structure may arise, but from stagnation change will never come.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 11:18:49 am »

AHA! The witness snuck in, did the deed, snuck out, and then sauntered in through the front gate as if nothing had happened. Also, how could she witness the crime if she wasn't on the crime scene?
I've never heard of any false accusations except by blood suckers (although some dorfs have personalities that would suggest they ought to accuse people they have grudges with). I would keep said "witness" under very close surveillance at the least, and, if so, rename her so she's easily recognizable if she returns to top up on a new visit.
I assume you don't have any undead to use for undead testing? You might also try a witch test (drowning chamber, with optional means to drain the chamber if the suspect turns out to start to suffocate).

Of Dust

• Bay Watcher
  • We are forged
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 06:33:25 am »

My thoughts exactly, save that i have never seen visitors go anywhere other that the pub temple or library. To back out like that to throw off the scent seems a bit too smart for a Dwarf.
If it is the visitors, then the truly Fun thing is that unless i notice the announcement when they arrive, they stay unidentified - I can't scan their minds or order them into my drowning chambers. It does appear there have not been any more murders for a while now, and a recent outbreak of Lycanthropy has kept the coffin makers busy so perhaps the killer has moved on or been used as wall paint.