Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The wool cap of death (A newb overseer and two werelizards)  (Read 2134 times)

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
The wool cap of death (A newb overseer and two werelizards)
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:40:40 am »

It's my first post, and english isn't my first language so hello everybody and sorry if i spell something wrong

RoughDiamond is a new fort, it's getting its second year now, and word is spreading that the overseer is... Not that sharp.

First winter i forgot that temperate don't mean Brazil and 90% of my dorfs died of thirsty, only 3 of my 7 initials and the diplomat survived

The main entrance of my fort is full of coffins, so everyone (me) will remember what happened

For this winter i thought i was ready, plenty of food and booze, 30 dwarfs working, outer walls being finished barracks being dig, and FINALLLY some weapon grade metal was found so i could begin a squad... but... in midautumm

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And in the description was "it is very muscular"

My backyard was far from being finished, my livestock run as hell inside the fortress while some stupid guys tried to stop him

It bite two of my dwarfs and killed other three with:

He just slapped the face of my dwarfs, transformed back into a kobold and flew.

And in the other side of the fortress the diplomat and the merchants were trying to figure "Why there is someone screaming?"

Now i just locked inside walls the two ones that were bitten looking for a way to make them useful.

I read that building destroyers leave restraints intact and a chained person isn't a danger to my dwarfs, so i thought of just chaining them as an alarm. Or a guard to my entrance. I dunno.

Annddd now is the question time:

I know that dwarfs can become berserk by being locked for too long and a berserk dwarf is a berserk were-lizard, there is a chance that upon transformation the were-lizard can get free of the chains? Or a chained naked dwarf will tantrum and cause some trouble even chained?

(i am assuming that is possible to just lock a dwarf without crimes, besides the crime of being a stupid wanna-be hero and face the werelizard before the most useless and stronger dwarfs i could find when in panic "militia" arrives )

Hope next year i wont do shit again  :)... ir there will be more coffins to fill  :D

EDIT: God, i made a back up and looked in the legends, it says that only one of the dead got the lizard curse by a bite. But the two that i  locked were bitten too. they can become a werebeast too and the legends is buggy or i am just locking innocent dwarfs to death?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:45:11 am by omada »
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The wool cap of death (A newb overseer and two werelizards)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 12:24:27 pm »

I'd brick the bitten ones inside separate rooms (i.e. normal rooms, and then put up a wall in the opening)  and wait for the next full moon (check wiki). If they don't transform they're safe to let out (by removing the wall), and they shouldn't have died of thirst unless already badly thirsty. They won't go crazy from being locked up for a month.

It's said tantruming dwarves (i.e. mad ones, but not crazed) can destroy chains. It's also said from an authority that chains cannot be broken by the one chained through strength or building destruction.
Transformation should not free a chained victim, but I'd still recommend rooms. I'm not actually sure if you can chain anyone without accusing them of crimes.

The were curse is transmitted through a bite drawing blood, so biting (without drawing blood) and shaking should not transmit the curse. A detailed examination of the battle log could tell you if the skin was punctured by a bite, although I personally would not trust that, and lock the victims up anyway.
Opinions are divided on whether a puncturing were bite always results in the curse taking hold, or whether transmission can be resisted (e.g. via disease resistance).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 06:43:59 pm »

Chained creatures cannot break their own chains.

Tantruming dwarves can deconstruct furniture, which includes chains.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:40:04 am »

Build a drawbridge instead of doors, they are safe from building destroyers and you wont have  to worry about chains. Or just wall them in, you can always remove the wall after full moon has passed. If you have time, you could even stockpile some booze and food in the cells.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 06:42:54 am »

Ah, I forgot to ask, how were they killed with the woolcap? Strangled to death or otherwise suffocated? Or just very sharp wool?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 03:36:02 pm »

Just very hard hitting.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 02:55:05 am »

Damn. Same thing happened to me. Except this was a wereass[/]> and it killed even more people. I'm not sure it actually got in killing blows in with its pigtail hat, but I definitely saw it explode somebody's finger. He passed out from pain after that, and it was all over for him. So effectively he was killed with the hat.
Akur Akir Akam!

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 09:33:11 am »

Oh, now i see, my locked friends weren't cursed, i will let them into the hospita

The bites only bruised fat and musckes (but did some bone damage), no blood.

Oh wait, winter? no water? deactivating the hospital

The peasant can survive with grasp somewhat impaired, look, he was even possessed and made me a nice artifact skirt, i will make him my militia captain

Buuuuut the glassmaker, lost ability to stand... he has no friends

He can die *laughs like a psycho*

Now i have 24 occupied coffins, i like pair numbers... or multiple of five (i am almost killing someone more)

The deal of chains is that i wanted  them to fight invaders, or thieves and dont make them entirely useless

He just slapped them to death

Like that meme of batman slapping robin's face or something like this

So... thank you all for the answers now lets see how far i can go :v

hmmm... There is a possibility of the werelizard returning?, i would love feeding the dogs with his body.

If he don't return sometime in the future i will make an adventurer to hunt him down. Or not.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:15:24 am »

You really should get yourself a safe water source, but it's a bit late for this year.
However, it IS possible to save badly hurt dorfs even without water: Send them to the hospital and disable the hospital when they get too thirsty. You should also deconstruct any rack patients are hooked up to. They should then crawl to the booze stockpile and drink (you might have to forbid all cups/mugs,... if a victim has lost the ability to grasp on both hands), and should eat as well. Once they're full, reactivate the hospital (the racks should be rebuilt in the mean time, of course). Repeat until the victims have recovered (at least enough to go back to work).

All this, of course, if you actually want to keep your dorfs alive. Otherwise you can just flood the fortress with magma...

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 10:21:53 am »

Oh, now i see, my locked friends weren't cursed, i will let them into the hospita

The bites only bruised fat and musckes (but did some bone damage), no blood.
Eh...  I thought so too, once.

Once.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.