Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crosses?  (Read 1317 times)

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crosses?
« on: April 18, 2016, 05:51:52 pm »

I have a dwarf with a preference for "crosses".  It's listed between "the color sky blue" and "hatch covers".  No "cross" or "crosses" on the wiki, and nothing on google (for Dwarf Fortress of course).  I only noticed because I was considering this one for Baroness, but I suppose that's a really bad idea.  Is this an adventure mode item? 

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Crosses?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 07:18:09 pm »

It's a shape. Low skill engravers will engrave pictures of basic shapes onto the walls, like triangles or crosses. It means nothing for pretty much every profession.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 08:29:46 pm »

Go into your raws.  Open "descriptor_shape_standard.txt".  "CROSS" is the third one down.  Feel free to add your own.

(FYI, this raw also contains the cuts of gemstones.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 08:54:34 pm »

Ah, thanks.  A little while after posting it occurred to me it probably had something to do with designs.  So does this also mean that if I assign this dwarf to engraving then she'll tend toward engraving crosses?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 09:31:23 pm »

I believe so, yes. 

It's out of date, but I did SCIENCE on engravings back in the 40d days, so you can read the results, there.  Basically, I think it's a straight % chance, of certain things, and you need at least a *quality* engraving to get anything historical, with a 60% chance of historical with that level of quality.  I haven't kept up with changes in recent years, but it should still apply.

I think there is something like a 10% chance of them engraving any random thing they like or hate that is actually engraveable.  (Stones, metals, and gems are generally not engraveable, but animals and plants are.) 

If the art is lower than *quality*, then I think it's a 60% chance of a shape, which dramatically ups the chance of crosses just because it's a shape. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 05:21:43 am »

Since you can precisely select what will be engraved (by default "D" over engraved tile), you can engrave different crosses all over the walls of the dwarf's room. See if this help with her moods. You can also order the mason to create a statue of cross (or multiple crosses) and install that in her room. To me it would look like she's afraid of vampires, but everyone has their own quirks and preferences...

Roofless

• Bay Watcher
  • Never had a glass industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 05:52:14 am »

OR rename her Liliana Vess and it starts to make much more sense now.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 10:43:57 am »

Since you can precisely select what will be engraved (by default "D" over engraved tile), you can engrave different crosses all over the walls of the dwarf's room. See if this help with her moods. You can also order the mason to create a statue of cross (or multiple crosses) and install that in her room. To me it would look like she's afraid of vampires, but everyone has their own quirks and preferences...

Statues of favored objects/animals give more happiness IIRC, so it would not surprise me if it worked the same for engravings. Though I actually don't remember seeing a dwarf think about having admired one.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 11:27:45 am »

I couldn't find even dwarves happy after watching a statue, even though I have some statues. But they increase value of room (which is noticed by dwarves in case of bedroom, dining rooms, and even offices after meetings were conducted there), and they should increase value more in case of preferred material or symbols. That would need testing though, there may be a hard to catch bug there.

My dwarves openly notice buildings, mostly traps, but also sometimes seats, tables, trade depot or bridges. But statues or engravings? I have yet to find such an art lover.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 02:59:15 pm »

It presumably helps if the statue is of higher value (and the engraving I assume) - you get something like "is EMOTION after having admired a sublime statue recently". Perhaps a masterwork engraving on native gold or some unmined jewels?
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 03:20:15 pm »

I saw some admiration thoughts in the near past, but just cannot find them recently. I'm beginning to think that may dwarves are becoming boors. Live at the frontier, I guess.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 04:10:27 pm »

Yeah, maybe the hard-scrabble life at the outpost is not good for fine arts.

Though I had higher hopes for my scholars than for them to just spend their leisure time eating masterful camel roasts, getting hammered on plump helmet wine and punching the nearest farmer. I guess they are having fun, at least.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 08:19:59 pm »

It's particularly amusing when they like furniture items like doors, actually.  I've had dwarves whose happy thoughts fly through the roof after every time they sleep because, MAN, that DOOR they have to their ROOM! They get similar happy thoughts for every door they walk past, which is quite a lot in my fortress, since I have a "be able to quarantine the fortress at any time" policy for dooring/hatch covering every hallway.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare