Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Need a game for Local-multi with my kid  (Read 3027 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need a game for Local-multi with my kid
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2017, 04:38:10 am »

Can you recommend And easy way to get into this? I did a quick search and it seems there dozens of websites to sift through and not sure who to trust. I am also not 100% sure he will like old games.  am 45 and what I remember from back then is that games were HARD AS FUCK. We died over and over and we kept at because there were no other options. Today, thats not the case and I personally don't see the point in games like Super Meat Boy. My son and most kids I know are the same, hard just equals inaccessibility.

So with that said, what games should I look at? Do they have like old Arcade games form the 80's?

ON a side note and not directed as a reply to anyone, I wish there was a new PC version of something like Twisted Metal, ROcket League has me really thinking that would be fun and we keep trying to play it like that but it wasnt meant to be played that way. All we do is rumble mode.

MAME has support for both Arcade game systems and stuff like the SNES and Megadrive. Whilst a lot of the arcade side scrollers are nigh impossible, there's a lot of much more accessible games with SNES and stuff like that; take toejam and earl for instance - it's literally one of the most laid back multiplayer games ever.

Other than toejam and earl, good multiplayer games are the golden axe/streets of rage games, teenage mutant ninja turtles and my personal favourite; The Lost Vikings. Then there's all the arcade game ones, of which there are thousands.

In terms of where to get them, Aoi is right that it's a bit of a grey area. Unless the game has officially had it's copyright revoked it's not legal, yet with most of those companies having folded and/or no legal sales of the product possible it's a bit of a 'if a tree falls in the woods' scenario. More than that, most of the paid for 'packaged ROMs' are just pirated copies getting put into a convenient zip file by a third party. That being said, medium shifting is acceptable as per DMCA exceptions, so if you own a copy of it you are more or less free to play it on whatever.

I remember this previously coming up and Toady being against it though, so I won't post links here to reputable ROM sites. Shouldn't be hard to find though.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Tokrat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Need a game for Local-multi with my kid
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2017, 03:45:25 pm »

Some local Multiplayer games my kids(8-12 years old) enjoy quite a lot:

Hammerfall (Up to 4 player Co-op game, a bit like good old Gauntlet)
Jamestown (very solid Shoot-em-up game)

Spelunky (Co-op or vs / not too easy) You might want to check if you think there's too much blood and gore for your kid.

You can get all of those on steam.
Pages: 1 2 [3]