Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trouble with fortifications: Goblins warping through?  (Read 1529 times)

MikeKingswell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Trouble with fortifications: Goblins warping through?
« on: April 16, 2016, 10:08:09 am »

Hey guys,

as the title states I got Trouble with my defences. It seems that goblins just warp through and I cant figure out how.

So here is the Setup:

I got a 3 tile wide tunnel leading into the side of the mountain:

X= Natural Stone wall
_ = natural tunnel floor
o= open space
F=Fortification

"Ground Floor:"

X___X
X___X
X___X
X___X
X___X
X___X
X___X
X___X

above it I made a Shooting-Spot for my Marksdwarfes. First i mined out the entire space, then channeled the 3-wide Floor above the tunnel and then placed fortifications around the thing:

"1. Floor":

__F o o o F__
__F o o o F__
__F o o o F__
__F o o o F__
__F o o o F__
__F o o o F__
__F o o o F__
__F F F F F__

Somethings I want to point out:
- None of the fortifications was build "in the air" all of them have Floor under them
- above the defences the moutain continues - they dont come from there
- behind the Setup I got a raised Bridge that blocks off the real entrance to the fortress- so they don't just sneak7run past this stuff and walk to my dwarfs
-also: if I just raise my Bridge once the goblins are on the map they dont walk anywhere close to my entrance. The pathfinding doesnt seem to see a way inside, once my bridges Close everything off - so I didn't just "miss a spot" somewhere, since pathfinding would lead them that way even with raised bridges.

So in my eyes goblins should not be able to penetrate this.
Yet they keep showing up on the 1. Floor (mostly on the most northern part). Not all of the wave - but always 2-3.
In haven't been able to see how they do it but they shouldn't be able to climbe up there - and even if they are, how do they pass through the fortifications!?

Hope you guys can help me out ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:11:26 am by MikeKingswell »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble with fortifications: Goblins warping through?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 10:11:55 am »

I believe fortifications can be dodged through.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MikeKingswell

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 10:25:39 am »

They can!?
And even then can they dodge up 2 z-Level and then THROUGH the fortification?

Any idea how i can make my defences dodge-prove then?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 11:52:28 am »

It's even possible to dodge through walls (having a training area a couple of levels above ground bordering the wall can result in mysterious militia corpses in the moat). I don't know if it has been investigated, but double walls should at least cut down on the bugged cases significantly if it doesn't prevent it completely.
There are also reports that it may be possible to climb through fortifications (not the swimming through fully submerged fortifications, that's a separate issue), with claims it can be done in adventurer mode.
I don't think it's possible to dodge upwards. However, built fortifications (but not carved ones) lack a roof (seen as a walkable floor in the level above), so it's at least possible for flyers to get in that way. However, if you've got rock above the fortifications they can't get in above the top.

My guess is the climbing on the wall and then through the fortification case.

I'd consider one of the following:
1. Widen the ground floor path three tiles on each side, with a wall after every 7 tiles, offset between the sides. Where a wall juts out on either side, place a row of 3 traps of your choice. Caravan wagons can wind their way through the path. Smooth the remaining walls close to the original path, as smoothed natural walls are hard/impossible to climb.
2. Smooth the walls to make them difficult to climb.
3. Widen the path 2 tiles on each side. Climbers can climb diagonally up and out one tile, but not two.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 11:55:01 am »

Double walls should prevent dodge-through completely, but won't work for fortifications.

For me, I always make the path from goblin to fortifications impassable, say with a ditch or a smoothed 3z-height. you'll reduce your range marginally, but it's worth it.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 06:40:02 pm »

You could put grates/floor bars ober the path, dwarves can shoot down through them.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 06:52:27 pm »

You could put grates/floor bars ober the path, dwarves can shoot down through them.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but grates and bars don't have the penalty that requires a certain skill level to shoot through at a distance. This could make it easier for return fire I get at your dwarves.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 11:23:59 am »

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but grates and bars don't have the penalty that requires a certain skill level to shoot through at a distance. This could make it easier for return fire I get at your dwarves.

at least goblins dont warp through them . i had a fb warp through some fortifications, never a grate.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 01:56:01 pm »

Dodging can "teleport" you through a fortification or even a wall.  Bug #7444.

I don't think any kind of terrain can prevent it (grates, etc.).  I suspect the game just picks a tile at the appropriate distance, checks that this one tile is clear, and moves the creature there, without checking the tiles in between.  But this is just a guess.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:58:08 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 05:14:29 pm »

It's not just dodging. Fortifications can be jumped through, as well.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 05:37:07 pm »

#1. That's only 1z up, a creature can jump 1z, grab hold and climb the rest and hop on over the other side. 

#2. You said you build fortification?  That means, it does not have a ceiling.  Compare that to a build wall, then carve fortification on wall which will leave a ceiling.  Still issue as #1, it's only 1z high.

#3 are those floors next to the fortificaiton on the "1. Floor"--are those constructed floor?  or are they floor from the natural walls below?