Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Colosseum  (Read 3383 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Colosseum
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 04:48:55 pm »

A built fortification retains a floor on the BOTTOM. The top's irrelevant for this outside of fliers and suicidal crossbow dwarves.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2016, 08:41:55 pm »

A built fortification retains a floor on the BOTTOM. The top's irrelevant for this outside of fliers and suicidal crossbow dwarves.

My understanding is that all dwarves are suicidal in the current version, at least after they've had a drink.  You want to prevent your civilians from deciding to join in the fun, presumably.  (Or maybe you don't.  But if you do, then you need to physically stop them from climbing over the fortifications and dropping down into the action.  Ergo, the ceiling over the fortifications.)

All windows and fortifications are transparent.  All walls and floors are opaque.  The material is irrelevant.  I believe that grates (both kinds) are transparent as well, but my experience with grates is pretty limited.

Dwarves will not sit in chairs unless they are performing a job that uses a chair (Eat, Update Records).  At all other times, they are standing up, or lying down, or in a transitional state between those two (e.g. just got kicked and hasn't fallen all the way to the ground yet).  Hell, for all I know, they may perform the chair-related jobs by standing on the chair.  Of course, this doesn't stop you from installing a bunch of chairs in the meeting zone and pretending they're being sat in.  If nothing else, the dwarves can admire the fine +chair+s as they mill around.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:44:13 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 12:48:28 am »

Ok, so will something like this work
___rooooooooof______
_hg.................gh____
_hgF________Fgh____

_ - floor
. - space
h - chair
g - window
F - fortification
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 03:01:05 am by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 01:26:52 pm »

this is what I'm going to do
cccccccccccccccc
cggggggggggggc
cgFFFFFFFFFFFgc
cgF######Fgc
cgF######Fgc
cgF######Fgc
cgF######Fgc
cgFFFFFFFFFFFgc
cggggggggggggc
cccccccccccccccc

# = open space or floor
c = chair
g= glass
F = Fortification
building destroyer can destroy glass, but not fortifications so layer of fortifications.however stuff can shoot through fortifications but not glass, so layer of glass
finally a roof over it to prevent flyers from escaping and creatures climbing over

Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2016, 11:13:33 pm »

That's the same like my design but my is sideways :)
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2016, 04:36:44 pm »

I suggest a dinner theatre kind of setup. Set up tables and chairs all about the coliseum, and let them enjoy whilst they sup.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 2 [3]