Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Evil Goblin Embark  (Read 4485 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Goblin Embark
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 02:19:50 pm »

Toady has fixed goblin sieges now, so they are pretty keen to show up if you are within range

For small values of "fixed".  They're slightly less broken than they were in 0.40 (see 9202, 9236).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 11:34:34 am »

I snatched up Trollhammaren's save, exported the parameters, and regenerated the world with quite minor changes, and I just found there's no candy at the 3*3 embark I went to (that covers his original embark location). I tried to restore 3 caverns, but the world generation is sensitive with several rejects before the correct world is generated, so I gave up on trying to customize it.
Any knowledge of what could cause that? I know there was someone who asked a similar question about a month or so ago, but without getting any actual answer (I said there should be candy in a 3*3 embark...). Interestingly enough, I believe that candy-less embark was a single cavern one as well.

Not much has happened in that embark, though. I made 3 very quick save scum reembarks before I figured out how I wanted to do it, but turtling has worked fairly well to keep away from harm. A minor bout of early thirst due to all the barrels being outside (stockpile mismanagement: no barrels...), but the gathered herbs provided sufficient booze to tide me over. The most exciting was someone who smashed the head of an undead raven into pulp. A few mists, but nothing caught in it.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 12:06:45 pm »

EDIT:  copied plump raws from different save and it fixed, but sadly the graphics are locked to whatever tileset you use, and trying to change it says it would corrupt the save

I may be able to help with this... that error happens when the world is genned on vanilla and copied to LNP which is already set to use a tileset.  It produces really weird glitchy graphics, and also slightly increases instability.  If you copy over the raws with graphics from a correctly-configured game for the graphics set you want to use, it corrects the issue.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Trollhammaren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 12:42:44 pm »

I snatched up Trollhammaren's save, exported the parameters, and regenerated the world with quite minor changes, and I just found there's no candy at the 3*3 embark I went to (that covers his original embark location). I tried to restore 3 caverns, but the world generation is sensitive with several rejects before the correct world is generated, so I gave up on trying to customize it.
Any knowledge of what could cause that? I know there was someone who asked a similar question about a month or so ago, but without getting any actual answer (I said there should be candy in a 3*3 embark...). Interestingly enough, I believe that candy-less embark was a single cavern one as well.

Not much has happened in that embark, though. I made 3 very quick save scum reembarks before I figured out how I wanted to do it, but turtling has worked fairly well to keep away from harm. A minor bout of early thirst due to all the barrels being outside (stockpile mismanagement: no barrels...), but the gathered herbs provided sufficient booze to tide me over. The most exciting was someone who smashed the head of an undead raven into pulp. A few mists, but nothing caught in it.

Well that's a spoiler. Good thing I stopped caring for microcline metal some time back, 'round the same time I got tired of the same old booze made from plump helmets. Never even looked for it. Give me steel made with dead trees and barley beer. Still, weird - I assumed it would be there if I ever need it. Does having only 1 level of caverns really make you not have candy? Will 2 layers be sufficient?

I personally went for an above ground fort, so I embarked with around 100 logs and some hematite and immediately built a dome. That took two tries, with giant undead wrens killing everybody the first time. Since then the fortress has survived somehow, although the mist appearing on top of your tower is the worst.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 01:52:43 pm »

Let me tell you, having wool come alive is a real pain, very difficult to deal with.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 02:22:55 pm »

EDIT:  copied plump raws from different save and it fixed, but sadly the graphics are locked to whatever tileset you use, and trying to change it says it would corrupt the save

I may be able to help with this... that error happens when the world is genned on vanilla and copied to LNP which is already set to use a tileset.  It produces really weird glitchy graphics, and also slightly increases instability.  If you copy over the raws with graphics from a correctly-configured game for the graphics set you want to use, it corrects the issue.
I'm afraid that doesn't help, as I generated it from the lastest LNP contained and started DF (with Phoebus tiles from the start and all). I DID export legends from that DF as well, but I doubt that would screw up the world gen parameters. Thus, I'm afraid the problem you solved happened to be bypassed by my generation from scratch from within the LNP. I appreciate the help, though.

@Trollhammaren: I'm usually rather dependent on candy, since my embarks are metal less in metal less worlds. Goblinite supplies some, but I won't trade for metal apart from a few bars to cover moods. In this embark there is no need for candy, but if I wanted to match evil from above with evil from below I'd have to resort to the miner sacrificial method (unless the thinnest SMR point is a single level thick), and I dislike sacrificing my dorfs. If you use a 2*2 embark it would be stupid to rely on candy, since it's "guaranteed" only on 3*3 and larger, but if you don't care it obviously doesn't matter.

I'm fairly sure a single cavern is not a sufficient criterion to lose candy, or there'd be more knowledge about it.

Compared to you, I'm basically cheating, since a 3*3 embark allows me to keep my fortress outside of the evil area, so I only have to deal with what comes from it, and they're not exactly racing towards the fortress. I built most of the roof of my recessed courtyard with a couple of undead rodents ambling about in the periphery. It's when undead flying stuff appears I find it better to be indoors, as it's far too much work to try to keep track of them.
When it comes to booze I strive for the widest selection possible, and then grow each plant for one season (including plump helmets) on single tile plots. I skipped mead on this embark, though, as I don't like the uncontrolled rushing out of the farmer to get new bees all the time. I also buy one lot of each of the fruits the elves bring, but I don't pick fruits as that results in an unrestrained explosive growth of the booze stockpile. I'm still contemplating building an orchard for future use, though.

@CaptainLambcake: Yes, I know. The head wool/skin is (possibly just almost) unkillable. I did get a rather good tip the last time I tried an reanimating embark, though: Surround your butcher, tanner, and farmer's workshops with cage traps. There's a decent chance the damned thing gets caught in one, and your civilians can often escape harm by dodging into traps (there's some work to get them out again, but at least it can save their lives). In a way it's even worse when you kill a skin and bits of it gets stuck in the workshop so you have to deconstruct and reconstruct it again, and while that is being done the head part reanimates... I resorted to DFHack "exterminate him/her" for head parts, as I consider them too bugged. When butchering is subject to reanimation I station the militia in the processing area, and only butcher one creature at a time, waiting for all processing to be done before starting on the next one. You can also use the splatter method, i.e. drop whatever you're butchering from a sufficient height to let it explode into parts, let those reanimate at the bottom, and then use suitable method to rekill them. The splattering process provides the multiple skins killing a reanimated skin does, but with less risk (rekilled butchery remains aren't reanimated again).

Trollhammaren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2016, 07:43:01 am »

My fortress is now 18 years old. It's been more than 10 years since we last saw a caravan. After about 8 years inside the sealed tower, preparing, we retook the surface from the zombies and husks, and immediately walled it off with retracting bridges. One edge was used as a spawn trap, which gave us some unicorns for a breeding program. Then, a lone wild kakapo was left trapped inside the fortress, preventing flying zombies from spawning. Then we chopped down every tree on the map, which along with the blocks we had been making those 8 years, yielded enough materials to floor over the entire sky 20 z-levels above. The evil fog can no longer get in. We have since breached the caverns, used our magma device to obsidian cast the edges, and then drained the huge cavern lake. The rest of the cavern edges are now walled off. Every single dwarf is clad in masterwork armor with an iron/steel weapon on them at all times, axes for the civvies, hammers for the military. Everybody relevant or possible has been trained as a weaponsmith, so many important dwarves like the brewer wield their own steel artifact weapons. The evil biome is now used to make necrobacon by resurrecting corpses to increase their muscle mass.

How are you guys doing?
Pages: 1 [2]