Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upright spikes: blunt from floor or just piercing?  (Read 762 times)

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Upright spikes: blunt from floor or just piercing?
« on: April 14, 2016, 07:10:54 am »

Do upright spike traps also deliver blunt damage from hitting the floor or just piercing damage from the spike?

If just piercing, I can assign all the spikes to a single lever and turn them on for goblinite mining and off for zombieum mining, right?
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upright spikes: blunt from floor or just piercing?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 07:19:00 am »

Do upright spike traps also deliver blunt damage from hitting the floor or just piercing damage from the spike?

Hitting the what, when?  Are you talking about invaders walking through a tunnel with spikes going up and down because a dwarf is operating a lever, or are you talking about invaders falling onto spikes that are semi-permanently in the "raised" position?
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 08:27:40 am »

You can hook up multiple things to a single lever (or pressure plate, if you're using a mine cart repeater).

Inactive spike traps do nothing, unless a victim falls upon them. In that case I'd expect there'd be some damage from falling onto the floor as well as from falling onto the spikes (provided they're raised), but I haven't had a reason to try it out. Inactive spike traps (regardless of position) do not impede movement, with the exception of wagons. As blocking devices, they're as (in)effective as jammed weapon traps.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 09:03:33 am »

When falling onto them from several z levels.  After dodging a trap, perhaps.
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 09:36:35 am »

The wiki's page doesn't say either way, so try it out and let us know.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 01:09:17 am »

Ok.  Of course, it being DF, I am already running into the need for Dwarven engineering.

Let us say that my desired hallway of traps is at Z level 0.  At Z-1 I have channeled a place to dodge into the spears.  Z-2 is, of course, an aquifer, and if I dig the channel I won't be able to do the experiment.  Z1 is part surface (a depression, like a dry murky pool that never had water, that I was going to use as a surface farm), part planned extra barracks (I'll build a wall and make it a dining room / food and drink stockpile for the troops instead) and part earth.  Z2 is all surface (or empty space).  After first building a bridge to allow my dwarves access to the depot (see below) and the wall where a barracks was going to be, I'll channel out Z2 enough to make Z1 directly above my trap path all surface.  Then I'll also channel out Z1 directly above the trap path.  Then I'll build some upward ramps and some elevated floors upon which to build the actual trap path.  Then I'll see if I can set a trap on a ramp or if I'll be losing 4 trap squares.

There will be some free space between the spikes, maybe I'll dig it out and put in cage traps to better inspect critters for spike vs. floor !!SCIENCE!!.

My entry way is setup to bring a wagon path past four archer rooms, also in line with 3 ballistae stations and then the entryway goes through the depot, to the trap path (which is itself setup to be surrounded by archer rooms and each path lane in a different ballistae fire, which, ahem, unintentionally ended in the depot, but none of which has yet been dug and likely won't be due to the need for an elevated floor).

bmxbumpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I pass? She beat me like I owed her money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 02:19:13 am »

I am getting a mental picture but plz bruddah, plant me some screenies!