Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trivial print_mode:Text modding question  (Read 818 times)

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trivial print_mode:Text modding question
« on: April 09, 2016, 11:17:41 am »

Hi All,

So every so often I get the DF bug, try to play for a bit, and run into one access issue or another which gets in the way. To be fair, most of them are the fault of my screen reading software. It's getting to be that time again, but for now I'm focusing on adventure mode.

One fairly trivial change I'm wondering about is a way to position the Linux terminal cursor, not necessarily an in-game one as I understand the term, over the @ sign which represents my character. As it stands now, with Print_mode:Text, the cursor seems to hang out at a fairly arbitrary point. My screen reader unfortunately can't track the position of any given character as it changes, so I spend half the time chasing after my @, which isn't very fun.

This change would honestly make Adventure mode, at least, mostly tolerable, along with liberal use of the Look command. I'm not sure what could be done about Fortress Mode yet, but I'm sure I'll get back to asking about that kind of thing soon. Bonus points if the terminal cursor follows in-game cursors too, so the Look command can be tracked and so forth.

Thanks for any thoughts. :)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial print_mode:Text modding question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 10:16:28 pm »

I'm pretty sure this would be possible with DFHack, although figuring out where exactly the character is displayed on the screen could be a little trickier than actually moving the cursor.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 02:37:51 pm »

I haven't tried messing with DFHack for a couple years, and was a bit lost even when I did. :) I'll have to download it and see if I can make anything of it.

Has anybody used it with Adventure mode before?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 03:29:50 pm »

I mean it would be possible to write a DFHack tool that moves the cursor around in PRINT_MODE:TEXT.
I've never actually tried playing with a screen reader myself, so I can't really offer much advice there. Unless you're asking if DFHack works in adventure mode, which it does (although there are fewer tools available for adventure mode).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:36:04 pm »

Sorry for the confusion :) I was asking if DF Hack works in adventure mode. I'm glad to know it does. The screen reader issue is mostly separate, and I think I'll have to figure that part out one way or another.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 02:33:59 pm »

I'm going to swing by and PTW this while I'm here.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.