Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to increase animalmen visitors?  (Read 986 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to increase animalmen visitors?
« on: April 14, 2016, 05:20:36 pm »

Has anyone figured out how to increase the number of animal men that establish themselves in worldgen? I'm not sure the exact mechanism, but some appear as playable members of civilizations while others show up as "Intelligent wilderness creature." What I'd like to know is how to increase the number of animalmen (surface and subterranean) who show up in fortress mode as guests. Has anyone done any !!science!! on this?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: How to increase animalmen visitors?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 05:29:46 pm »

Well there might be some way to influence it indirectly, but you can always make some yourself. Just decide on the location you want, and make a bunch of animal people adventurers in nearby civilizations, then immediately retire them.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 06:13:41 pm »

There's a few things we can do, not sure if it's what you're looking for but, it's what's possible currently with the limitations of DF. Lets take a look. The raws are found in 'entity_default.txt' which can be found within the df/raw/objects directory.

Their civilization raws:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When you look through these, you'd expect this code to be the culprit:

However, it appears that this code does absolutely nothing currently. Which means we need to keep looking. Upon further inspection you'll notice, no biome information? Where will they settle? We can copy the biome information from humans, that is, if you're looking to find civilizations of giant humanoid rats hanging out. The new raws would look like this:

The above code still has a few things we need to iron out. We need to remove the token [LAYER_LINKED] because it makes the civilization a hidden underground one. We would keep it that way but, we can't influence generation any other way, by the raws atleast. Next, I'm not sure about you but, I'd rather not have them build giant cities. Not very rat-men-like. If that's what you fancy, you can remove the [LAYER_LINKED] token and use these raws. However I think CAVE_DETAILED would be a much better site choice. I mean could you imagine a huge cave detailed with tons of engravings about the struggles of alligator-man-life? Lets take a look and make some changes to that section.

What did we do? We changed the default site they build and the site they like to CAVE_DETAILED, and made them like CAVE. We then added a start biome (where the civilizations are 'born) to mountains. Then we removed the lakes/ocean/rivers from the biome support because, personally, I don't think that would be a good choice for caves. Lastly we are going to make sure they have biome support for mountains, with the rate of '12' so they're much more likely to go to the mountains than anywhere else. Great! Lets toss it all together and see our finished raw for the civilization!

Copy the code and replace the existing one and you'll no longer find them in the caverns, you will, however, have them around the world. They might still get killed during world generation because of their lack of weapons, which you can change if you'd like. They also will ambush you, which should be fun, but they won't siege you. If you want that, I'll leave it up to you, it's not too hard though just go check the wiki for the entity tokens and add a specific token.

It is a bummer we can't just buff up how many are added, but maybe this will add extra !!FUN!! to the game ;)
Have !!FUN!! And feel free to ask any questions I'll try to answer as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 06:18:04 pm by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 07:12:35 pm »

Uhhh thanks. None of that is really new or what I was asking. All you did is change the underground animal people into real civilizations. Which is fine, but not really what I was asking. I was asking for a way to increase the number of wild animal men who join preexisting civilizations. Which is guided by the [LOCAL_POPS_PRODUCE_HEROES] tag.

Turns out that the method vjmdhzgr suggested works. Otherwise, a longer history seems to really be the deciding factor. My young world didn't run long enough for many animal people to join civilizations. A longer history run (300 years) gave them more time and I got more variety showing up in my new world.