Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water wheels and water flow issues, help!  (Read 1158 times)

MagicPotion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Water wheels and water flow issues, help!
« on: April 12, 2016, 05:08:28 pm »

I set up some 15 water wheels inside my fortress with water flowing down multiple z-levels from a brook, through a chute into a chamber under them. The problem is that the power production is inconsistent or non-existent as compared with water wheels placed directly on the brook which I never had a problem with. I've uploaded a save file in case anyone is interested in taking a closer look http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11941. I'm playing with 40.24 btw.

Does water flow just not work correctly outside of a natural river or brook anymore? I remember that in older df versions getting water to constantly flow wasn't such a hassle, to the point where you only had to have had the water flowing at some point on a tile for the game to recognize it. In this case I breached a wall to create a constant flow and it's just not working properly. I should be getting 1500 power but at most I achieve 800 and half the time the wheels aren't turning at all. The water is at it's minimum hight of 4/7 so it should be working. I just don't want to give up the idea of water wheels inside my fort :'(

mirrizin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water wheels and water flow issues, help!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:02:59 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12665-irondrinkers

I made a successful water wheel power plant in that fort, using underground water pouring naturally out of a cavern.

I did notice that performance was uneven at first, and it seemed to take a long time for it to start working, but eventually it did.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 07:36:11 pm »

"Flowing" water is a trait in the tile.  If water is connected to the edge of the map, it becomes a "flowing water tile" at that point. 

Create a reservoir that you can flood, and have shut-off doors and an exit to the edge of the map - carve fortifications to make the last tile.  Let out some water through that exit, and all the tiles that have water in them will be "water flow" tiles.  Now, you can shut the door to the exit and seal off the inflow to your reservoir, deconstruct the bridge on top, and build waterwheels.  Once a tile of water is marked "flowing", it is flowing forever.  No need for FPS-draining moving water!

I did mine with an aquifer, for the record.  (I love aquifers - all the water you will ever need at a convenient near-the-surface location!)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MagicPotion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 09:19:31 pm »

That makes alot of sense, I'll get right to it. Thanks!

MagicPotion

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 11:59:54 pm »

Worked just like you described! <3

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 03:06:22 am »

Aquifer water wheels are very nifty, and I embark with aquifers unless I have to give them up as an embark trade-off. However, as far as I understand induced flow in those tiles is directional, so if it happens to flow perpendicular to the wheel rather than along it no power is generated. At that point I deconstruct the wheel and make a new attempt to induce flow, which usually works.