Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: SNES Classics  (Read 6214 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: SNES Classics
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2016, 01:20:36 pm »

(oh and for those curious, FF9 is the Best

Wut.

I've heard a lot of things said about FF over the years. That always surprises me though, that people say that.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2016, 02:09:31 pm »

Well I imagine it is pretty polarizing.  It has both my favorite FF Character, Freya, and my least favorite FF character, Quina.  Probably the best story in an FF game to date though.  FF6 tried to do really good character arcs but just had too many characters to pull it off for everyone.  FF9 also did character arcs but did not have to spread itself so thin, so they came across much better. 

The only FF9 characters I don't remember much about are Quina and Amarant.  FF6 characters I don't remember much of are Gau, Strago, Realm, Gogo(by design probably), ....uh....the airship guy who's name escapes me atm...   Hell in FF9 Beatrix, Marcus and Blank got character arcs comparable to anyone from FF6.  And they are not even permanent party members, and one of those could arguably be called a bad guy.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:14:36 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2016, 02:16:14 pm »

the airship guy who's name escapes me atm...

You can't remember the name of the character that has shown up in every game since FF2? Your cred is shot Greiger :P

Personally I just hated the character designs of FF9. It really seemed like a game visually architected for kids. And I remember nothing of the story. I remember more of FF8's story than 9, and FF8 was terrible.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2016, 02:20:16 pm »

The airship guy in FF6 was not Cid :P  Cid worked for the empire and as far as I know had no direct relation to Setzer, Daryll or either one of the airships.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:22:33 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2016, 02:27:45 pm »

Metal Marines and Super Castlevania IV are neat games that aren't mentioned often. They even have awesome soundtracks. *hums Treasury Room from SC4*

Also, Front Mission: Gun Hazard. GUNINANRUNIN showed me it and it became my fave.

Other SNES games I like are Lufia 2, Final Fantasy (IV, V, VI), plus Der Langrisser.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2016, 03:07:51 pm »

Uh. For what it's worth, at least metroid and LoZ are generally pretty self-contained. Either that or involving serious continuity dickery such that "middle" doesn't exactly apply. You're not missing anything if you go straight to Super or LttP. Honestly, cross-game continuity/multi-game plot/history/etc. isn't exactly common... ever. But especially during SNES et al times, so far as I can recall.

This statement feels weird given that Super Metroid is a direct sequel of the original Metroid.

It's actually a sequel of Metroid 2, for the Gameboy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FF6 characters I don't remember much of are Gau, Strago, Realm, Gogo(by design probably), ....uh....the airship guy who's name escapes me atm...

How did you forget about Setzer's story? His is one of the few mandatory storylines you have to go through to finish. There's even an opera you had to perform in for him. XD

On the other hand, Gau's story was mostly optional and had only one brief scene, and Relm's story was a pain to view since it was tied to very obscure and random triggers in the earlier days of the internet...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 03:19:09 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2016, 08:25:39 pm »

FF6 is best final fantasy. period.
Chrono trigger is the bees knees too.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2016, 04:57:32 am »

FF6 is best final fantasy. period.

I kinda hate when people say stuff like this, honestly.
Over my life I've played a lot of Final Fantasies but I haven't yet done 6, and by this point I don't think I will ever be able to enjoy it due to the massive, unending amount of overhyping I've heard about it.

I remember when everyone said the same about FF7, and now apparently 7 sucks and is the worst thing ever and 6 is God descended to Earth in cartridge form.
Can someone honestly tell me that 6 will be able to live up to expectations?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2016, 01:02:00 pm »

My childhood consisted primarily of:

Earthbound (seriously, has no one said this yet?)
Harvest Moon
Uniracers
Tetris Attack
Tetris & Dr. Mario (settled many family disputes)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (with the Game Genie code that gave you infinite everything - stress relief!)

And now I must resist the pull of nostalgia. I have a big enough backlog of games without booting up an emulator and playing childhood games again!

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2016, 04:20:52 pm »

Not sure if it counts, but Star Fox II deserves special mention for being cool without being released. I managed to play that once and was rather impressed how they managed to make a 3D environment on the SNES. Pity they never completed development and it feels more like a demo.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2016, 07:00:46 pm »

Star Fox II has some really neat ideas behind it as awkward as it is in other areas. I liked how they had a solar system map which forced you to ration your time and decide which targets were most urgent. The difficulty scaled well depending on which you picked. There is an English fan patch knocking around which also fixes things up to feel a bit more complete.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2016, 07:29:04 pm »

Yeah, I think the entire game can be beat and it has an ending. I remember one or two glitches but no real show-stoppers. I never cared much for Star Fox 1 but I really like Star Fox 2.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2016, 07:51:59 pm »

Hmm, the SNES had a great library. Shame I never got to play the overwhelming majority of it; we didn't really start buying a lot of games in our house until the N64 days. I think some of my favorites were...

• Shadowrun
  • Super Mario World
  • All the Donkey Kong Country games (3 slightly less so)
  • Super Mario RPG
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]