Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unable to make soap?  (Read 1591 times)

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unable to make soap?
« on: April 02, 2016, 03:52:24 pm »

Even though I have plenty of Lye and Tallow, I'm not able to make soap due to not having a "Lye-containing item"

I read on the wiki that lye barrels couldn't be used, but it was said to be fixed in 42.06, which is the version I have. Is it still a bug or is there something I'm missing?

NahteKavlozs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to make soap?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 04:04:45 pm »

This was an issue that I had. It is very simple to fix, though. If you kill/slaughter an animal and butcher it's remains, you will get fat. In a kitchen, you can select "render fat". Then, at the soap makers workshop, it should work if you have lye.

EDIT:
Sorry, mis-read your post. I don't know how to fix this. How do you delete posts?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 04:06:18 pm by NahteKavlozs »

nimbus25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 04:39:05 pm »

Update:

I built a Lye stockpile set to take from the Ashery and my food stockpiles (just in case) with 0 barrels, and no Lye was being moved. So I deconstructed the Ashery, THEN dwarves moved the Lye to the stockpile and I was allowed to make Soap.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 08:26:40 pm »

It is strange.

I usually use manager menu, for example, make ash x10, make lye x10, make soap from tallow x10 and wait.
They will eventually complete the tasks(provide you do have enough empty buckets), though there will be lots of cancel job messages.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 07:51:40 am »

Have you limited the soap-maker shop to just the stockpile containing the tallow?  If so, then add the stockpile containing the lye to its suppliers.  I had a similar error when I was trying to make scrolls.  I forgot I had limited the craft shop to the mudstone stockpile.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 08:13:49 am »

so have you solved it already? I was in the same situation yesterday, then I realized there was no buckets. Made a few and thats it, lots of soap for my dirty dorfs. Also make sure to have lots of cabinets and chests in your Hospital so they can store soap there
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien