Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Strange News Thread  (Read 1685 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Strange News Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2016, 11:04:37 pm »

Can I post old news?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2016, 12:27:05 am »

And yet Arizona can't compete.
Population density and humidity.

100 F with a 101 heat index isn't bad, it's like the air giving you a big warm hug, 95 F with a 105 heat index feels like the air is trying to strangle you for daring to step outside.

45 people per square mile is roomy, 300 people per square mile is uncomfortable.

Then you mix in all the drugs, old people, alligators, AND the air trying to strangle you, Florida surprises literally nobody when it is crazy. Individual events may be surprising, like the guy throwing an alligator in through a drivethrough window, but as a whole? Not in the least.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2016, 12:39:45 am »

Can I post old news?

The one I posted was 5 years old, so.... I certainly hope so.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 09:23:56 am »

Can I post old news?

Go for it, this is for strange news, not current news.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2016, 12:57:31 am »

https://science.slashdot.org/story/16/08/19/0012223/flaming-blue-whirl-could-be-used-in-fuel-spill-cleanup

An unfortunate mix of electricity and bourbon has led to a new discovery. After lightning hit a Jim Beam warehouse in 2003, a nearby lake was set ablaze when the distilled spirit spilled into the water and ignited. Spiraling tornadoes of fire leapt from the surface. In a laboratory experiment inspired by the conflagration, a team of researchers produced a new, efficiently burning fire tornado, which they named a blue whirl. To re-create the bourbon-fire conditions, the researchers, led by Elaine Oran of the University of Maryland in College Park, ignited liquid fuel floating on a bath of water. They surrounded the blaze with a cylindrical structure that funneled air into the flame to create a vortex with a height of about 60 centimeters. Eventually, the chaotic fire whirl calmed into a blue, cone-shaped flame just a few centimeters tall, the scientists report online August 4 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The soot-free blur whirls could be a way of burning off oil spills on water without adding much pollution to the air, the researchers say, if they can find a way to control them in the wild.

Man the flaming Bourbon lake with the fire tornadoes, I remember that, good days.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:00:02 am by Reelya »

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2016, 01:02:25 am »

It's raining fish!

Quote from: Charles Hoy Fort
London Times, April 19, 1836:

Fall of fish that had occurred in the neighborhood of Allahabad, India. It is said that the fish were of the chalwa species, about a span in length and a seer in weight--you know.

They were dead and dry.

Or they had been such a long time out of water that we can't accept that they had been scooped out of a pond, by a whirlwind--even though they were so definitely identified as of a known local species--

Or they were not fish at all.

I incline, myself, to the acceptance that they were not fish, but slender, fish-shaped objects of the same substance as that which fell at Amherst--it is said that, whatever they were, they could not be eaten: that "in the pan, they turned to blood."

For details of this story see the Journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal, 1834-307. May 16 or 17, 1834, is the date given in the Journal.

Rocks fall from the sky? Humbug!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:16:22 am by BorkBorkGoesTheCode »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2016, 02:11:34 am »

One facepalm thing about the meteorites thing is that churches accepted "stones from the sky" as a miracle of God, and had extensive collections of meteorites. After Lavoisier decried the phenomena, these extensive collections were destroyed as an embarrassment, losing centuries worth of valuable scientific specimens.
Pages: 1 [2]