Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controlled Ramp Destruction  (Read 1111 times)

Daman453

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Controlled Ramp Destruction
« on: April 04, 2016, 06:28:14 pm »

Hello all, in my fort i wanted to make a moat, and because i'm new to the fortress mode, i left ramps in the moat, i wanted to delete it but the support and floor method doesn't work, i put the floor on the same z level on the support, and link it, nothing. Oh maybe i have to go up a zlevel, can't build there. Oh OK, i turn on cave collapse in the lazy newb pack and see no cave ins anywhere, weird. Try the above things, nothing. If i can't destroy the ramps, then i will build high walls to defend myself. I hope i can get help for this.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Controlled Ramp Destruction
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 07:04:53 pm »

Do you have water in your moat? If not, you can just build updown stairs into your moat and use d-z to remove ramps.

Daman453

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 07:07:34 pm »

I already flooded it... :(

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 07:12:46 pm »

I already flooded it... :(

Well, maybe you can dig another moat.  :P

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:52:11 pm »

Next time you build a moat have a way to empty it afterwards. After all, how are you going to get the goodies from the enemies that drown in it?
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 03:18:05 am »

A solution would be to use DFHack, you can press d -> z (remove ramp) then designate all the ramps you want to remove.
Once done, in the DFHack prompt, type
Code: [Select]
derampAnd the ramps you designated will be deleted, even if they're in the water or not accessible by any dwarves

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 06:11:26 am »

Next time you build a moat have a way to empty it afterwards.
I would call this the golden rule of safe plumbing. Always build some drain before flooding anything, for retrieval of whatever might fall into the water, to facilitate later expansions and most importantly to avoid fortress flooding in case something goes wrong. Even if there is no forseeable way in which you could use a drain, build one. Many things happen in df that are totally unpredictable.

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 05:06:51 pm »

Nonsense.  Do dwarves use safety nets when walking on single-tile wide snow-covered 10z high walls to build the z11 wall?  Mine don't! Build and dig with confidence, as there is nothing that can't be fixed with enough screw pumps and stone blocks (or magma, of course, which still comes down to blocks and pumps).

To the question, though, I channel down leaving ramps to get out.  When I clear ramps from the last level I just tunnel out and block up the hole in the wall.  I used to make elaborate stair or ramp paths out, but that doesn't look as nice.