Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: ≡Modding Questions≡ Reaction Triggers, Errors, Wyrms, oh my! v0.42.06  (Read 3127 times)

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
  • It'd be nice if I'd stop getting distracted.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile

Oh yeah that's true.  I believe I actually saw something somewhere for disabling strange moods. 
As of version 0.42.00, only creatures with [STRANGE_MOODS] can get (surprise surprise) strange moods.

Yep that! :D
Insert Witty Signature Here.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

How do you disable immigrants and caravans for certain civilization races?

Giving them no active seasons will remove caravans. Without trade nor outpost liaison, there should be no migrants after the first two waves.

How do you resurrect a unit from a building reaction?

That reaction should give the worker a syndrome with an interaction that allow him to resurrect a corpse. You can use creature classes within the interaction to decide which creatures are eligible.

Dfhack will allow you to apply syndromes on a creature but... as of today it seems that syndromes applied this way are broken and interactions are never used. This is a bug I am stuck with for my mod.

An alternative would be to make the reaction produce a large quantities of rocks that cause the syndrome when inhaled, not guaranteed to work.

How do you essentially make a machine, or workshop which can generate a type of liquid as a result of a reaction?

This should help, probably buggy since I slapped it together only to fill channels.

How do you make an armored plating around a creatures skin via a building reaction? i.e. Urist McSkeleton getting his bones plated with iron by Urist McArmorsmith (Or Urist McPool of Iron perhaps)

Old masterwork DF has reactions to provide armor to horses, I think it involves transformations into creatures with iron skins or something.

Do old scripts from 2014 like https://gist.github.com/IndigoFenix/8543661 function effectively on DF0.42.06 (The thought now occurs to me, if I examine that I may learn how to do the above)

A lot of them do, they have to be tested one by one but so far the porting job was minimal.

When using an ability, does the projectile always have to be spinning?  Powers, abilities, syndromes, are confusing the heck out of me actually. @_@

Anything thrown is spinning. What you did was the closest to a magic missile as possible until magic is implemented for real.

Is it possible to have a material evaporate after being cast?

Give it a low boiling temperature, it should go in smoke after hitting.

Does anyone have a Dwarf Fortress language library for Notepad++ that's not from 2013??

I use sublime text, there is a DFML plugin adding some highlighting.

As for redistribution, there should be licences with programs that allows it and a safe stance is to consider scripts and raws found here as CC by-nc.

Last but not the least :

Fortunately 32x32 works just fine.  Anyone know why most graphic packs are only 16x16?

For creature sprites you can use whatever size you want, those are resized to the tileset's size.

Afaik DF has a minimum width of 80 tiles, so a 16x16 tileset is the most accessible for both screen sizes and readability especially without dfhack and the TWBT plugin.

24x24 matches 1080p screens nicely, higher than that and you will have no choice but to play fullscreen, which makes dwarf therapist annoying to use.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:22:55 am by Boltgun »

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
  • It'd be nice if I'd stop getting distracted.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile

How do you disable immigrants and caravans for certain civilization races?

Giving them no active seasons will remove caravans. Without trade nor outpost liaison, there should be no migrants after the first two waves.

How do you resurrect a unit from a building reaction?

That reaction should give the worker a syndrome with an interaction that allow him to resurrect a corpse. You can use creature classes within the interaction to decide which creatures are eligible.

Dfhack will allow you to apply syndromes on a creature but... as of today it seems that syndromes applied this way are broken and interactions are never used. This is a bug I am stuck with for my mod.

An alternative would be to make the reaction produce a large quantities of rocks that cause the syndrome when inhaled, not guaranteed to work.

How do you essentially make a machine, or workshop which can generate a type of liquid as a result of a reaction?

This should help, probably buggy since I slapped it together only to fill channels.

How do you make an armored plating around a creatures skin via a building reaction? i.e. Urist McSkeleton getting his bones plated with iron by Urist McArmorsmith (Or Urist McPool of Iron perhaps)

Old masterwork DF has reactions to provide armor to horses, I think it involves transformations into creatures with iron skins or something.

Do old scripts from 2014 like https://gist.github.com/IndigoFenix/8543661 function effectively on DF0.42.06 (The thought now occurs to me, if I examine that I may learn how to do the above)

A lot of them do, they have to be tested one by one but so far the porting job was minimal.

When using an ability, does the projectile always have to be spinning?  Powers, abilities, syndromes, are confusing the heck out of me actually. @_@

Anything thrown is spinning. What you did was the closest to a magic missile as possible until magic is implemented for real.

Is it possible to have a material evaporate after being cast?

Give it a low boiling temperature, it should go in smoke after hitting.

Does anyone have a Dwarf Fortress language library for Notepad++ that's not from 2013??

I use sublime text, there is a DFML plugin adding some highlighting.

As for redistribution, there should be licences with programs that allows it and a safe stance is to consider scripts and raws found here as CC by-nc.

Last but not the least :

Fortunately 32x32 works just fine.  Anyone know why most graphic packs are only 16x16?

For creature sprites you can use whatever size you want, those are resized to the tileset's size.

Afaik DF has a minimum width of 80 tiles, so a 16x16 tileset is the most accessible for both screen sizes and readability especially without dfhack and the TWBT plugin.

24x24 matches 1080p screens nicely, higher than that and you will have no choice but to play fullscreen, which makes dwarf therapist annoying to use.

Wow Boltgun you gave me a lot to work with.  Thanks. :D  I'll be sure to go over all of that when I wake up tonight.  The modding community sure is a helpful bunch here.
Insert Witty Signature Here.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile

I suppose for the landmine you could use a regular weapon trap.you could use [MINIMUM_SIZE:X] on a landmine launcher weapon with X set to a body size bigger than any civ creature, than make a landmine ammo item that had the explosion attack, but I don't know dfhack, and I'm guessing you want an actual explosion to come from the trap. I think dfhack might be able to do that
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 [2]