Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrows  (Read 766 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrows
« on: April 02, 2016, 06:35:24 pm »

Are burrows working properly in the current version?  I just set up a burrow to keep dwarves underground due to a slight evil mist problem.

Everyone ran downstairs exactly like they were supposed to, but one of my miners finished a job and ran directly out onto the surface.  WTF?  And yes, it was enabled and all that - everyone else displayed the correct behavior.  Does the burrow not get "noted" until some other trigger occurs?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: Burrows
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 10:25:14 pm »

The burrow doesn't restrict movement, only jobs. So unless you had a meeting area in the burrow, this seems pretty normal. Not sure why he would run, but maybe just meandering to the surface wouldn't be unexpected.

Unless of course you're talking about a civilian alert, in which case that is weird behavior. I haven't had this happen to me personally, all my (few) burrows work alright.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 03:02:28 am »

Short answer: No.

To clarify, civilian alert burrows do not restrict movement either, all burrows do is to ensure the destination of a job is within the burrow (with massive cancellation spam as dorfs stupidly take illegitimate jobs only to drop them), but pathing has no interaction with burrows.
Also, the new needs activities frequently cause dorfs to defy burrow restriction (I haven't had any reason to get problems with civilian alerts, as all zones are within the burrow area, so I can't tell about that). You can burrow a dorf in his room and provide food and drink there, and still have the bugger socializing in the tavern (as all jobs are unavailable due to the burrow), run to the room, sleep, run back to socialize, go back to the room, eat,... I've also seen what I think is the jobs rewrite delayed job pickup misbehave, as I've had burrowed dorfs run to their burrow room, do stuff, and then run out with "no job", and then just stand there outside the room, as there's no activity to perform.

There have also been reports of civilians defying civilian alert burrows to wander about out into a siege without anyone understanding why that happened ("need to wander" satisfaction?).

In addition to bugs, you can easily screw things up yourself... One example is to have uneven terrain and mark everything that's below the ground level of your fortress entrance as part of the burrow, forgetting that you've got a corner of lower surface terrain with some logs that are eligible for hauling.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 07:03:36 am »

The burrow doesn't restrict movement, only jobs. So unless you had a meeting area in the burrow, this seems pretty normal. Not sure why he would run, but maybe just meandering to the surface wouldn't be unexpected.

Unless of course you're talking about a civilian alert, in which case that is weird behavior. I haven't had this happen to me personally, all my (few) burrows work alright.

Yes, it was a civilian alert.  Sorry, should have specified.  That's why I thought it was bizarre.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.