Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: thinking of playing DF again. can anyone "update" me?  (Read 3742 times)

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: thinking of playing DF again. can anyone "update" me?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 05:10:34 pm »

So, last time I played this game I played on version 0.34.11, I was wondering if the game really has changed since (don't want to read 2 year of changelogs)

I was in the same position as you (playing for the first time since 34.11) a month or so back, so I guess everything new for me will be new for you too:

• Goblin and kobold ambushes have been removed, I think temporarily. You can re-enable this by changing the raws back. I've seen necro ambushers coming together with necro sieges, so I'm not entirely sure how those have changed
  • Undead got nerfed somewhat, they aren't that OP anymore. However necromancer sieges now come with armed zombies, which are a hell of a lot more dangerous
  • There are also a lot of new giant animals and animal men available in savage biomes, and now you can choose to play as these animal men in adventurer mode as well (e.g. playing as an elephant man)
  • You can now create "locations" in your fort like taverns, libraries and temples
  • Taverns are places for your dwarves to drink, perform and watch performances, and can attract visitors from other civilisations to come to perform or chill. Some of these can petition to join your fort as performers or warriors, and can eventually become full citizens
  • Temples basically exist to fulfil the dwarves' need to "Worship!", though you can sometimes get dance performances
  • Libraries are places for your dwarves to read, write and copy books and scrolls. You can attract scholars to do the same as well
  • Dwarf happiness has been changed completely. Now there's a separate metric measuring the stress level of your dwarves based on how many of their needs are fulfilled. These include praying, drinking alcohol, practicing skills, crafting, fighting etc.
  • Trees occupy multiple tiles now, and can grow to several z-levels high
  • You can collect fruits from trees using herbalists and the new plant gathering zones
  • There are a LOT of new above-ground crops available, which can be processed in various different ways. All of the crops that produce cloth can now be turned into paper as well

Hopefully I didn't miss anything

seen the latest version is 0.42.06... also, if I install a newer version, should i just delete my old DF folder or install over it (was using some mods at the time like Df hacks and dwarf therapist)

I think it's best if you don't overwrite. AFAIK DFhack isn't available for 42.06 yet, but Dwarf Therapist is. Not sure about the starter packs and all that.

Also, has game running performence been increased? I remember having troubles when having bigger fortresses, game was starting to lagg badly.

Eh, if anything it seems a little more laggy in 200-dwarf forts than in 34.11.

An almost perfect list, except that you forgot to mention How in Adventure mode, You can now write poems, play instruments, write books, sing, dance, tell stories, and carve bone crafts to sell in the market.

RurikGreenwulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 11:08:12 pm »

Thanks for all the update info!. I'm too coming back to Dwarf Fortress and this has really helped!.
Just one quick thing now can you now get Friendly Necromancer visitors if you build a library?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 12:15:02 am »

Just to point out that DFhack, Therapist and even the LNP all support the latest version, 42.06. But, they add an 'unstable' disclaimer.

Would highly recommend 42.06 over 40.24.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 12:21:08 am »

Thanks for all the update info!. I'm too coming back to Dwarf Fortress and this has really helped!.
Just one quick thing now can you now get Friendly Necromancer visitors if you build a library?
No, necromancers aren't supposed to come visiting. Although I think I recall sometime posting a screengrab when they did.
On the other hand, get hold of the secrets of life and death and plant them in the library and you'll soon get a friendly necromancer citizen or 2. Or 3 or 10...

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 11:43:45 am »

how do i install 42.06 into the LNP ?
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 11:53:51 am »

how do i install 42.06 into the LNP ?
you don'T. you download the 0.42.06 r02 version of LNP which includes the proper DF version, so it's a complete packagE.
personally I stay with 0.42.05 because of the trading masterworks bug, but it's a matter of taste if you find that worse than the .05 missing trade value and carrying objects of favorite material bugS.

Necros have been reported as both visiting and arrive as migrants, but it's unknown if that's intended or not. I don't think either kind of necro have been reported to be persuaded to share their secrets yet, but if they take on apprentices...

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 11:15:46 am »

okay, downloaded LNP and will try it out in a few moments.
i guess the old worlds will be lacking some of the features, even if they're compatible (can be loaded and played).

i've read about the necroes... sounds like high potential for !!FUN!! :-\ i'll try it anyway  :D
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)
Pages: 1 [2]