Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help, canīt configure z levels with single cavern  (Read 737 times)

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help, canīt configure z levels with single cavern
« on: March 16, 2016, 05:50:57 pm »

I just cant figure out how to set this up. All Iīm trying to do is (starting from top to bottom):

surface / 20-30 Z levels / a single cavern / 60-80 Z levels / magma

I dont care about whats above the surface really, just a standard world will work just fine, all I want is to carve a huge fortress in the dephts of the earth, below some big cavern and above magma sea

I got the cavern settings right (CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:1) and Iīve also configured openness and density to my likeness.
But I cant configure the z levels depths, and no matter what I try I always get around 10 z levels below the cavern, and what I want is to have at least 60 z levels below the cavern, before magma

I thought that not having layers 2 and 3 (meaning caverns 2 and 3) i just needed to raise layer 4 (magma) numbers. That didnt work.

Then Ive raised layer 2 and 3 values, thinking that maybe, with caverns 2 and 3 gone, magma would take the layer 2 place. that didnt work either

Any thoughts?
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: Help, canīt configure z levels with single cavern
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 06:47:27 pm »

I can't remember which one it is, but what you want to do is entirely possible.

Set them all to 50, and then remove them one at a time, and you'll see which one is responsible.

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 06:24:19 am »

Ive done something similar in my world, its pretty easy if you look at the wikis advanced worldgen settings.

Cavern layer is the easiest to set, find this line:

[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3] and change it to [CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:1]

You now have only one cavern layer. Be warned that you don't always get every single type of cavern tree as a result (there are no nethercaps in my world, I do get bloodthorn though).

To have solid Z levels, find:

[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:<number>] - its probably set to about 5, so set it to: [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:25]

This will give you roughly 20-30 z levels of stone+dirt above the first cavern layer for you to build in (it can vary quite a bit depending on location).

If you don't want your candy supplies nerfed, you can increase z levels for [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:<number>] and [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:<number>] - its not an exact thing but generally if you increase these a bit you make candy spires higher.

To get 80 z levels beneath your cavern and above the magma sea, its probably [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:<number>]  you need to increase.

The wiki explains it all quite well: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_world_generation#Cavern_Layer_Number

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:40:04 pm »

thanks guys, Iīve kind of figured it out and my fortress is finally taking form. A 25 levels underground tower carved in raw diorite. as soon as I find out how to 3d render it I will upload some photos
“Far, far below the deepest delvings of the dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien

Ezekhiel2517

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:40:20 pm »

thanks guys, Iīve kind of figured it out and my fortress is finally taking form. A 25 levels underground tower carved in raw diorite. as soon as I find out how to 3d render it I will upload some photos