Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Legacy - Life among the ruins  (Read 7786 times)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy - Life among the ruins
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2016, 05:35:25 am »

Oh hey, sorry actually getting ahead of myself, let's go with settlements.

If everyone can give at least one so we have some different places to work with.

Each one should have at least one of:

• A name
• A unique resource/advantage
• A characteristic tradition 
• A cultural taboo

For example, Dome.  Built in the hallways and rooms surrounding one of the few surviving large scale bio-domes, this settlement is mostly free from mechanical menaces thanks to a functional and protective AI.  The village mayor asks for advise from the AI constantly, but it rarely says anything useful, preferring to sing a haunting melody in a ruined concert hall most of the time.  While the dome provides food and trade goods, do not stay there after dark, fel beasts are said to roam then.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2016, 05:50:02 am »

Bone, a cannibal village located in the grasslands. It is a mass of tents(most of which are made out of human leather) surrounding a massive campfire which they use to roast their victims. They built a wall of compacted ash, bone and wood to surround them and protect themselves from any invaders.

It is frowned upon to eat other types of meat, as they are believed to be "impure". This being said, denizens of Bone will gladly consume plants and fruit.

Warriors from Bone are said to coat their weapons in a particularly toxic sludge, the sludge pool is found on the offskirts of their settlement, and is off-limits to anyone but the tribal shamans, who claim they have "forged a commection" with the sludge pool, causing them to be immune to the toxicity.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2016, 10:46:30 am »

Also, I will be glad to add lots of chaotic factions as they are possible.  After all if you rubhave three humans together you already have three possible factions able to exclude someone else.

So map features, I am going with a coast of some kind, mostly grassland and jungle, small desert, some wasteland/burned land from the fall, very large, very dangerous chunk of ship, lots of scattered debris and such.  Some regular mountains I guess?  Any other terrain features for the local area?
maybe ponds of spilled chemicals from the shio?

Lakes of sentient nano paste, got it.

I mean, "normal chemicals", got it.

That sounds good, speaking of Nanotechnology, what if large storms of Biomass-consuming Nanobots would occasionally sweep across the land in a sci-fi parallel to hurricanes? And maybe, Acid Rain and Radiation Storms from the Wastes?

What if there were different Political Ideologies competing alongside the many different Cults? What if a large group of militant communists was waging war against several petty feudal kingdoms and tinpot dictatorships that propped themselves up after The Reckoning? Maybe a few AGIs want to build their own Empire and are using their Cultists and advanced Technology to do so, and are competing with some AGIs that have different goals. There would probably be a few marauder armies looting and pillaging across the wastes and I'd be surprised if banditry wasn't commonplace. Throw in family clans, nomadic (and not so nomadic) tribes, and the PC Factions and things would be pretty interesting...

Oh hey, sorry actually getting ahead of myself, let's go with settlements.

If everyone can give at least one so we have some different places to work with.

Each one should have at least one of:

• A name
• A cultural taboo

For example, Dome.  Built in the hallways and rooms surrounding one of the few surviving large scale bio-domes, this settlement is mostly free from mechanical menaces thanks to a functional and protective AI.  The village mayor asks for advise from the AI constantly, but it rarely says anything useful, preferring to sing a haunting melody in a ruined concert hall most of the time.  While the dome provides food and trade goods, do not stay there after dark, fel beasts are said to roam then.

Retrorsut, a fairly large, (200+ people) Settlement on the coast. It borders some Jungle and most, if not all of it's buildings are made from Jungle Wood, the very defensible central keep, however, is constructed from carved rock and space-age debris. Retrorsut is governed by Sutltes the Brash, a brutal, yet benevolent dictator with an iron fist. Retrorsut has a large wooden palisade and several guard towers watching over it, and it's military is small for the Settlement's size (20+), but very well trained and equipped, much of it's populace is armed and trained as well, a fact that's prevented many would be Monarchs from dominating the Settlement in the past. Retrorsut depends largely on fishing and trade to sustain itself, but many private gardens are cultivated and several hunters make a lucrative profit hunting in the Jungle and selling the meat.

Retrorsut is near several other large Settlements and is a convenient stop on a major trade route, two facts that lend themselves to a thriving marketplace. The Settlement is very wealthy by Post-Reckoning standards, and has access to large stockpiles of artifact technology  and many high-quality trade goods. Retrorsut citizens pay hefty taxes to Sutltes the Brash, and all who enter the Settlement must pay a large fee to enter, entering at night isn't allowed, barring extreme circumstances. Non-citizens are not allowed to carry weapons in the Settlement, they are kept in a heavily defended cache near the Gate. They are also required to leave after 2 days unless they can justify staying, the process to become a Citizen is extremely long, complicated, and requires extensive "reeducation". Citizens are given a Tattoo of a golden crescent moon interlocked with a silver ring on their right arm, those entering and leaving the Settlement are required to show their arm to the Guards at the Gate to prove their Citizenship or lack of it.

The people of Retrorsut are very xenophobic towards outsiders, and though they tolerate merchants, they usually don't trust Non-citizens. Whenever someone enters the Settlement, they can feel eyes watching them at all times, and feel very unwelcome. The people of Retrorsut are quite introverted, quiet, and mild-mannered. Sutltes the Brash is anything but that, he's boisterous, loud, and prone to occassional bursts of temper, despite this, the people love him for bringing prosperity to Retrorsut. Every Citizen is given a free Education for twelve years from their fifth birthday, this mostly extends to combat training, basic mathematics, and literacy, but it's much more than most people get nowadays.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2016, 09:39:00 pm »

Here is a map, it is mostly blank on purpose, just tell me where to place your settlement on it.  Dark areas are sea/ocean.

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2016, 05:59:20 am »

Settlement our characters are in, or the settlement we just created now?

Edit: NM, place the cannibal village in the western outskirts of the map.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:02:04 am by vishdafish »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2016, 08:51:43 am »

Right now we are creating settlements, pick a place for the settlement and each one should have at least one of:

• A name
• A cultural taboo

We need 3-6 settlements so if everyone gives at least one we should be good.

We are done with figuring out what the old civilization is and what happened during the fall, although it really is still open since few people contributed.  I will give a summary of both a little later when I have some time.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2016, 12:30:10 pm »

Can you put Retrorsut somewhere along either the River or the Southern Coast?

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2016, 12:46:09 pm »

I'd put them directly in the middle of the river to complicate things.

You know what? That's a better idea than mine, +1

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2016, 08:17:59 pm »

Since Retrorsut has part wooden structures I am going to just say the nearby area is forest of some kind.

How is this location?

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2016, 08:46:25 pm »

Since Retrorsut has part wooden structures I am going to just say the nearby area is forest of some kind.

How is this location?

Looks great!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]