Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This song made me feel bad about DF  (Read 1568 times)

chokepoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This song made me feel bad about DF
« on: February 20, 2016, 03:31:10 pm »

I was watching some music videos on Youtube and started listening to Sonne by Rammstein, the video made me feel guilty, like I was a bad Overseer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StZcUAPRRac

Watch it and tell me if you think it's a metaphor for DF
"She killed grinder. Now she must take his place in The Plague!"

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: This song made me feel bad about DF
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 04:24:21 pm »

No, because the lyrics are about the sun, literally, and metaphorically it is about how people can take the idolisation of others so far that they let their own health be endangered by the idolised.

(Lyrics are more or less "here comes the sun, she/formal they are the brightest star... and then something about how the sun will burn your skin off)

Ramstein had a few songs about idolisation in this period of their career. Engel is another good example pointing out how becoming an idol can be lonesome.

But you're right, the clip is pretty memorable.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 07:17:45 pm »

Diggy Diggy hole is pretty DF
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Zorbeltuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 12:47:58 am »

No, because the lyrics are about the sun, literally, and metaphorically it is about how people can take the idolisation of others so far that they let their own health be endangered by the idolised.
Having an elected vampire noble comes to mind. ^^

/Zorbeltuss
Kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha, jokainen häviää. / Kaikki jotuvat tappiolle kun hölmöllä on moottorisaha.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 04:57:58 pm »

So it fits df pretty well? Just have to imagine that the sun is a metaphor for the overseer who from the perspective of the dwarves has to be an omniscient and omnipotent being that they have to obey absolutely, even if it is literally killing them.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 07:03:41 pm »

So you're saying that the overseer makes the dwarves vomit?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 11:03:12 am »

(Lyrics are more or less "here comes the sun, she/formal they are the brightest star... and then something about how the sun will burn your skin off)

Ramstein had a few songs about idolisation in this period of their career. Engel is another good example pointing out how becoming an idol can be lonesome.

But you're right, the clip is pretty memorable.

it's a nice song. as a native speaker, i can confirm your translation.
the band has a lot of deep cryptic/surreal lyrics and i always got the impression that most of the time they don't know what exactly they want to tell the listener, but rather just express their associations.
to me this song is some kind of hymn to the sun. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

original lyrics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
translated lyrics
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)