Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For those who love obsidian swords.  (Read 1693 times)

Darktongue Breakbone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
For those who love obsidian swords.
« on: December 13, 2007, 10:43:00 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl

This is what one looks like apparently.  Those Aztecs are something else.  I wonder if this is what the obsidian sword in the game is supposed to look like.

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For those who love obsidian swords.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:45:00 pm »

Yeah, most of us have known this for awhile.  Learn something new everyday, though, eh?
This is not a signature.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:00:00 pm »

There are people who make knife blades out of solid sapphire using a similar chipping process. I forgot what the method is called but it was something like "crimming".

Apparantly one such mastercraftsman made a scalpel for a doctor who then went on to do an operation on the guy with it. Some chipped stones are orders of magnitude sharper than surgical stainless steel.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG> "crimming".</STRONG>

Flint napping.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>Flint napping.</STRONG>

Flintknapping.
 find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 01:39:00 am »

Pffft, drunks around the world do it every night and they don't even need obsidian or special techniques.
Good thing dwarves consume their drinks from barrels, and not from glass bottles.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 11:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Scorpios:
<STRONG>
Flintknapping.</STRONG>

Ah thats its. All I could remember was the "K" and the "ing"

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by AlienChickenPie:
<STRONG>Pffft, drunks around the world do it every night and they don't even need obsidian or special techniques.
Good thing dwarves consume their drinks from barrels, and not from glass bottles.</STRONG>

Yes, but how long do such knives last? Blades made from obsidian or gemstones are far more durable than a XXgreen glass bottleXX.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 04:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG> Some chipped stones are orders of magnitude sharper than surgical stainless steel.</STRONG>

Yeah, we're talking mono-molecular edge, iirc.

Only problem is they're brittle, so applications are limited.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>

Yes, but how long do such knives last? Blades made from obsidian or gemstones are far more durable than a XXgreen glass bottleXX.</STRONG>

If it's generally short, and only used for stabbing, a three-four inch obsidian knife could last you a very long time.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 07:21:00 pm »

What if we had obsidian and flint arrows/bolts? Or obsidian daggers (flint maybe? I don't know much about flint)?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 08:21:00 pm »

I slightly tweaked the raws so I could get obsidian spears.  I've been planning for my "Aztec Dwarves" expedition.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 02:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

If it's generally short, and only used for stabbing, a three-four inch obsidian knife could last you a very long time.</STRONG>

That's exactly what I'm saying: small obsidian scalpels will last a lot longer than a jagged broken bottle used as a makeshift weapon.

On the other hand, that could well be relevant to Dwarf Fortress: If your fortress churns out glass bottles, they could be similar to the waterskin code except that they'd store booze and be used by civilians. Metal flasks could be used similarly, but... When a civilian is ambushed or goes nuts and starts attacking other dwarves, he/she could use the bottle as an impromptu weapon. *crack* *shiv* >:D

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 09:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>I slightly tweaked the raws so I could get obsidian spears.  I've been planning for my "Aztec Dwarves" expedition.</STRONG>

Hmm... Is it possible to make an atlatl that use spears as ammo?

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside