Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: So... yeah. Unlimited adamantine generator. No mods.  (Read 59755 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: So... yeah. Unlimited adamantine generator. No mods.
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2016, 06:51:32 am »

Yeah, it's an old, and apparently less well known trick than I thought.
There used to be a lot of tricks like this on the wiki, but I've noticed that the updated wiki has lost a lot of old good content.
Someone is being overly enthousiastic with cleaning it up.

Nvm I didn't see that this was a necro from 2010
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2016, 07:50:30 am »

As I recall melting down coins is more effective, especially combined with using a minecart to scatter the stacks.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2016, 08:45:42 am »

Yeah, but you can just use more ordinary thing like battle axe because it is faster.
A stack of coins = hundreds of melting jobs.

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2016, 09:49:36 am »

Yeah, but you can just use more ordinary thing like battle axe because it is faster.
A stack of coins = hundreds of melting jobs.

That'll work for iron and steel and such, but weapons and armor made of adamantine require three times as many wafers. So instead of spending one bar to get one and a half, you spend three wafers to still only get one and a half back. If you want to dupe adamantine, you've got to split stacks.

Plus, the coin method lets you dupe non weapons-grade metals. Just in case you need 300 bars of lay pewter for your next colorful megaproject. :P
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2016, 11:40:39 am »

As I recall melting down coins is more effective, especially combined with using a minecart to scatter the stacks.
i'm still struggling to understand minecarts, this might need a full step by step assistance.  potentially same as weaponizing minecarts for traps :D

coin splitting up in traders gets painful on repeating commands and i'm not sure how efficient of a macro i can make.  a coinstar room didn't work for splitting up. prefered metals were platinum (just in case), silver (hammers/maces), and zinc (lightest cage metal).

if someone honestly wanted to cheat, they'd make a reaction that makes 2 or more of a 1 bar return melting item.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2016, 10:12:36 pm »

There used to be a lot of tricks like this on the wiki, but I've noticed that the updated wiki has lost a lot of old good content.

Something like this page perhaps: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stupid_dwarf_trick

which not only has a prettified version of this trick, but also includes a newer vertical version which doesn't rely on creatures not jumping.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2016, 10:47:54 pm »

Something like this page perhaps: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stupid_dwarf_trick

which not only has a prettified version of this trick, but also includes a newer vertical version which doesn't rely on creatures not jumping.
thats precisely where the original is... unless you mean the tower method, of which this must not be made from constructions on bottom most level and also smoothened.  the well doesn't always seem to prevent goblin from escaping from dwarf attempting to pit.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2016, 09:36:36 am »

i'm still struggling to understand minecarts, this might need a full step by step assistance.  potentially same as weaponizing minecarts for traps :D

coin splitting up in traders gets painful on repeating commands and i'm not sure how efficient of a macro i can make.  a coinstar room didn't work for splitting up. prefered metals were platinum (just in case), silver (hammers/maces), and zinc (lightest cage metal).

if someone honestly wanted to cheat, they'd make a reaction that makes 2 or more of a 1 bar return melting item.

I am a bit confused as to how I can split a coinstack.
I put a coinstack in a minecart (a wooden one), and propelled it with 4 auto-propulsion ramps, into a gold minecart. Sure enough, the stack of coins flew out, and over the gold minecart. But it did not split. It's still a stack of 500 coins. How do I get them to split?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2016, 10:26:38 pm »

That'll work for iron and steel and such, but weapons and armor made of adamantine require three times as many wafers.
Ah, thank you. It's good to know.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]