Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floodgates  (Read 840 times)

Tubal_Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Floodgates
« on: April 07, 2007, 09:45:00 am »

A while back I made a perma-flood half way up the river which was stopped (thank God)  by the  doors I had happened to place next to the bridge.  Now I've since moved on, built another bridge etc so I don't need that inaccessible area,  but I was wondereing what I did wrong in the first place.  Here is the lay out
code:

#####
###.....~
...X__X~~
####

so the first flood gate opened and that was fine, I opened the second and the whole place flooded to the north, is it becuase of the one open square north of the floodgate?

[ April 07, 2007: Message edited by: Tubal_Cain ]

[ April 07, 2007: Message edited by: Tubal_Cain ]

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Re: Floodgates
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 10:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tubal_Cain:
<STRONG>is it becuase of the one open square north of the floodgate?</STRONG>

Yes.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 10:37:00 am »

As Toady has said, the first floodgate acts as a method to get water into any adjacent channel tile, while the second acts as a flood source.  That is important to note, since floods can go in any direction that is not occupied by a flood stopping object (such as an unmined wall, a closed door, or for now statues).  Think of any second floodgate as a neverending flood. Best way to control those is to 'nip it in the bud', stop the flood from going beyond that one tile in any direction you do not want it going.

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 10:49:00 am »

I, also, used to think floodgates opened towards the water's direction (water coming from bottom, opens up on top) but I learned quickly that I was wrong. Oh so wrong.

Edit: upeded, what the hell?

[ April 07, 2007: Message edited by: Heliopios ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 08:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tubal_Cain:
<STRONG>A while back I made a perma-flood half way up the river which was stopped (thank God)  by the  doors I had happened to place next to the bridge.  Now I've since moved on, built another bridge etc so I don't need that inaccessible area,  but I was wondereing what I did wrong in the first place.  Here is the lay out
code:

#####
###.....~
...X__X~~
####

</STRONG>

To avoid the problem in the future, remember that in the current version accidentally-mischanneled floodgates can be "fixed" by digging a single tile channel where the floodwater could spill out.  Thus, in your case, the fix would be:

code:

#####
###_....~
...X__X~~
####

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin