Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: From the beginning to the end  (Read 1093 times)

Grinm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
From the beginning to the end
« on: April 06, 2007, 08:17:00 pm »

So I tried out Dwarf Fortress and here's what I ended up with.
http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/5951/localmap3105637282mw6.png

All in all a pretty fun game. That being said, please god put in an order set for dwarves to ignore items on the ground.

I decided to seek out the demon pits and push on once I set everything up the way I wanted. Luckily I found a pit within a hundred meters of the magma flow. Then I waited. I got a tentacle demon and I think three fire demons in the first rush from the pit. After all was said and done, I lost 8 dwarven soldiers. Not too shabby I thought since these things hit like frickin trucks.

Now for the real killer. The fire spirits left behind some burning thing, I think I read burning iron at one point. Then all the citizens decided to run in and collect all the armor and items left behind. As it so happens the shortest route between the items and the citizens current position was directly through the burning iron. Hence why there is so much smoke and blood from the point of attack to the item stockpiles in the picture above.

So here's a quick review. Demons attack. 8 dwarves die. Demons die. Once again, demons are very dead at this point. Citizens rush in to collect the items. 147 total dwarves reduced to 73 in a short amount of time.

The only thing I could counter this with is turning the entire population of citizens into one tremendous military unit. I didn't want to do this because of the unhappy thoughts it might have incurred, but even with doing this I lost 74 dwarves. As you can probably see, some are still burning in the picture.

So please, please, please put in an order set to ignore items.

I think after this whole fiasco that I'm done with Dwarf Fortress. It was a hell of a game and I have to admit that was addicted for a great many days.

I've noticed a few bugs and I have a few suggestions that I'll post up here. Thank you for the great game.

-Ignore items order set for reasons posted above.

-Dwarves seem to get stuck on statues when installing them in the lastest release. Happens about 50% of the time for me and the only ways I've found to fix it is to uninstall the statue and try installing it again or hope for a cave river flood to push them off the statue.

-Consoldation of foodstuffs. Many times I would not be able to brew drinks because I would not have an available barrel to use. After peering through the food barrels I noticed that more than half were no where near full, wasting barrels.

-Strange moods requesting things that aren't even close to being available. It's very discouraging to have a dwarf request amber when none of the human wagons have ever brought it.

-Ability to rebuild walls. Even if it took 20 stone blocks to rebuild one single section of wall, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated. Many times, Fortifications could not be implemented in the fashion that I wanted them to be as you can see in the picture above. If you look at the picture above, you can see there is copper ore blocking off the fortifications and ballistas that I have set up.

-Sometimes when a dwarf gave birth to a child in the game, the child seemed to get stuck on the dwarf. I wouldn't really think anything of this if it weren't for the child constantly popping the blue question mark as if it's looking for a path to something.

-Put in a way to clean up muddy stone floors. The fort seems to lose some asthetic value for the player when they have the river constantly flooding onto the pathways making them unable to be smoothed or even worse having plants growing there.

There's a few things I'm missing but I forgot to write them down when they came up. If I remember them I'll post them up here.  :)

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From the beginning to the end
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 11:09:00 pm »

I dont know how the hell you people can stand having huge populations.

All I have is about 15 dwarves, and it's all I want.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:30:00 pm »

I don't know how the hell you can stand having tiny populations. You can't call it a real dwarf city if you don't have at least ten forges going full blast 24/7.

Anyhow, the ability to set areas/items "off limits" has already been put into place for the next version. Dwarves picking up burning items is more of a bug/unfinished feature anyhow.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 12:01:00 am »

Glad you enjoyed it up until the End Times.

Yeah, the forbid/ignore part is in to some degree for the next version.  People might want a few more tools, but at least there's something now.  The rest have been on to-do in some form or another.  The game is a work in progress, so it takes time to get to everything.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 03:09:00 pm »

You can smooth out the floors once the mud vanishes during winter.

And when you're talking about the dwarves giving birth and the child being stuck?  It's not stuck.  The mother is holding onto the baby.  It'll be let go to run around when it becomes a child eventually.

f it''s broke, fix it.
If it''s not broke, break it.

Grinm

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 01:44:00 pm »

Oh hell, I started another game.

Time to check out how much sick time I have built up.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 10:36:00 pm »

You might try turning temperature off in the init file. Turning it off speeds up the game quite a bit, and the main effect of having temperature on seems to be that it makes it a lot easier for your dwarves to commit burning lemming suicide.