Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No respect for books  (Read 864 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No respect for books
« on: March 03, 2016, 08:05:25 pm »

I have a number of books/scrolls that have just been left outside in the rain after... things... happened.  They don't seem to be (d)umpable or anything else that would enable me to get them inside the fort, and presumably eligible for filing in the library.

Any tips on getting dwarves to go pick up the bloody things and bring them inside?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No respect for books
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:08:45 pm »

Dunno. I had a weresomething show up carrying a book once. It hung onto it until it switched back to whatever it was on its day job, allowing my military to finally kill it. The book stayed outside where it had died until Toady released a new version and I quit playing that fort.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

DoktaYut

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:OCEAN_DEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 08:37:00 pm »

The only thing I can think of is to have a dwarf with enough free time to want to read it.

You did build a bookcase in the library, right?
This is a Bay 12 Forum Post. Written on the item is a signature entitled Thoughts on Signatures, authored by Dokta Yut. It concerns the elaboration, selection and display of forum signatures. The writing is very concise, yet it has a touch of humor. Overall, the prose is not awful, but not very good either.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 08:57:43 pm »

Maybe the book is owned by someone. Try forbid it for a while to see if it can be dumped agained.

This happens a lot when guests bring their own items. And my mercenaries tend to use their own armor than better armor I provide them.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 12:51:14 pm »

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 05:47:36 pm »

Excellent catch Martinuzz... I added a note on Mantis about it.  It looks to be the exact same issue.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.