Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: more autosave options  (Read 1568 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
more autosave options
« on: April 09, 2016, 10:14:50 am »

so as the game crashes quite often due to unpredictable triggers, autosave has saved me from losing it and going berzerk in my neighborhood mine and killing all my neighbors fellow dorfs.

could you by any chance add monthly autosaves?
seasonal is just not enough regarding how often the game crashed only a few days before the end of a season.
btw: i don't backup the saves as my HDD is way to full already.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: more autosave options
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 08:45:37 pm »

so as the game crashes quite often due to unpredictable triggers, autosave has saved me from losing it and going berzerk in my neighborhood mine and killing all my neighbors fellow dorfs.

could you by any chance add monthly autosaves?
seasonal is just not enough regarding how often the game crashed only a few days before the end of a season.
btw: i don't backup the saves as my HDD is way to full already.
Most of the crashes at this point are due to incompatible mods, alpha dfhack, TWBT and so on. Vanilla DF (42.06) doesn't crash monthly unless there's some hardware issue specific to your computer.

Therefore, yes more autosave options would be nice, but at the same time dfhack and such which are most likely causing your problems offer quicksave for just those reasons.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 09:29:41 pm »

Provided you have compressed saves, a single extra save is only about 25 mb in a medium-sized world. Considering as virtually any hard drive recent enough to not have burned out by now would need to have at least a hundred gigs, I'm thinking you have enough hard disk space for at least one extra seasonal autosave.

Anyway, if you want to disobey the advice of the above poster, note that DF Hack has a "save the game and keep playing" function.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 06:16:38 am »

i haven't read the DFHack manual and the gamemenu doesn't offer a "safe and keep playing" option to me.
if it's a special quicksave key, please tell me which it should be.

my 1TB HDD (actually 931GB) is currently filled to 926 GB leaving not enough space to properly defragment.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 08:43:48 am »

i haven't read the DFHack manual and the gamemenu doesn't offer a "safe and keep playing" option to me.
if it's a special quicksave key, please tell me which it should be.
Default ctrl-alt-s, as defined in dfhack.init, or type quicksave in the DFHack console.

The TWBT (Text will be Text) plugin is the usual culprit for most random crashes.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:46:52 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 09:35:52 am »

thank you :)