Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan killing  (Read 1509 times)

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan killing
« on: April 05, 2007, 07:06:00 pm »

So I've been killing my caravans by means of drowning them.  Or trying to anyway.  The main problem I'm having is that the ones that I really want, the guards, keep washing downstream, usually ending up being stuck on the floodgates.  Is there a way to keep them from getting stuck?  Or preferably not washing down in the first place?  I want their weapons.
f it''s broke, fix it.
If it''s not broke, break it.

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan killing
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 02:40:00 am »

How does the drowning chamber look? I usualy go for something like this with a long corridor to avoid anyone being able to reach the floodgate and block it.

code:

XXXXXXXXXX.r
X,X...X.F_Br
X.X.X.X.XX.r
X.X.X.X.D..r
X...X...XX.r
XXXXXXXXXX.r

X=rock
.=path
,=lure (trade depot in your case)
D=door
F=floodgate
_=channel
B=bridge
r=river
[DEMONLORD]

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:39:00 am »

Hmm.  Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.  I'll have to see about revising my very basic design.  I'll turn this one into a Noble's room or something.  Make a new trade depot where I can do that little maze thing.
f it''s broke, fix it.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »

I flood them outside... much easier to set up and I noticed that channels are considered roads as well...

Works quite well for seiges as well.

[ April 06, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie Fox ]

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 01:13:00 pm »

Psht, lava. That's the easy way.

If you don't want corpses drifting into your floodgates, just making the floodgates far enough away should work.

Example 1, An Elephant trap:

code:
.....############
...._+.##########
.....#.........##
.....#########.##
_____X.........##
.....#########.##
.....#.........##
...._+.##########
.....############

(Add a pressure plate set to one time use near whichever entrance the elephants would leave from- three mechanisms for a one-time herd of elephants. Better than stonefall traps at least)

Example 2, Merchant trap:

code:
##############
####.....#####
###.0   0.####
.+.. @   .####
.+..  0  .####
.+.. @M  .####
###.0   0.####
###......#####
###.##########
###........X__
##############

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 01:33:00 pm »

Actually, Eiba, that can flood lava or water with the way I have it set up (it was incomplete in that shot which is why I used lava, it was all I could use at the time).

And it matters not how you defeat them, but that you defeat them and continue to live... what was that term, survival of the fittest?  ;)

Trae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 07:14:00 pm »

Eiba, I want to kill them in a way that lets me keep their stuff.  Lava would probably destroy everything.
f it''s broke, fix it.

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 07:56:00 pm »

The only useful things I get from caravans/merchants anymore is the guard's equipment, which doesnt get destroyed in lava.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 01:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Trae:
<STRONG>Eiba, I want to kill them in a way that lets me keep their stuff.  Lava would probably destroy everything.</STRONG>

Hey, it was Jaqie Fox's suggestion! I was just deriding it for its simplicity and effectiveness...

For the record it doesn't destroy everything- as the above poster mentioned.
If you really want everything of worth, seize their goods at the depot, and trap them as they’re leaving to melt them with lava. That way you get any flammable goods they might be carrying as well as their weapons... Actually, I'd imagine items inside buildings don't burn, so as soon as they unload their goods I think you'd be able to melt 'em... Not entirely sure on that.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 01:51:00 pm »

why fry, sieze then splat....
.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 02:53:00 pm »

Uhm Eiba... if you look I never suggested lava and already corrected you once on that assumption.  Just because my pic for how I had it set up is using lava (and if you look it was for a goblin raid that I did that in the pic) doesnt mean thats what I was suggesting.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 04:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jaqie Fox:
<STRONG>Uhm Eiba... if you look I never suggested lava and already corrected you once on that assumption.  Just because my pic for how I had it set up is using lava (and if you look it was for a goblin raid that I did that in the pic) doesnt mean thats what I was suggesting.</STRONG>

Man, I need to read more carefully.
My bad!

Edit: Though, it should be mentioned that a surface flood outside doesn't drown- going by your picture, if you used water instead of lava I don't think the caravan would be killed.

[ April 08, 2007: Message edited by: Eiba ]