Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DF on a tablet: It's real  (Read 5068 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: DF on a tablet: It's real
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 04:33:17 pm »

To quote FG&RP:
aw yis
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 06:24:20 pm »

That was my thought too. :)  (in fact, when I was contemplating which tablet to buy, being able to run chrooted linux was a deciding factor, and when I saw an atom based tablet that met that criterion, the first thought I had was "Hmmm.. will it run df_linux? I gotta find out!" )

sho'nuff, it does.

Now @50 dwarves, flutters between 25fps and 40fps, depending on how much the swap is being hit. (zram is waaay faster than swapping to sdcard --and less damaging-- but not as fast as normal ram. DF is very ram access heavy, so the penalty is pretty big.  Really, I am thinking a 3x3 or 3x4 embark is a better idea. it leaves more "room to grow" as the fortress gets item registry growth.  Given that it's a cheap walmart tablet, it's holding up rather well so far.

Let me get a fresher pic of this running since my "ultra minimal" setup.

There.  JUST had another migrant wave. Now up to 72 dwarves, holding steady at 22fps.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:44:29 pm by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 06:56:17 pm »

OK, I am going to install a graphics pack now.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2016, 07:00:33 pm »

This looks like a exceedingly interesting thing.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2016, 08:03:08 pm »

Ok, LNP is for an older version, but I wanted to test dfhack.

I have dfhack and phoebius working. Got a new small region cooking. I turned up the fun-o-meter a little. Taking a while to generate to 1050 years.

I will try a 3x3 embark this time and we will see how it fares.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 04:29:44 am »

major:

I GOT FRAMEBUFFER MODE WORKING!!

Pain in the ass to set up, including manual xorg.conf edits, but I have fbdev loaded with framebuffer based display now.

I tried loading intel xorg driver, and it "almost works", but gives black screen of death for i915 driver. (what this tablet has baked in) That chipset breaks on linux all over, so not suprising it would load but not work correctly. (gives a cursor, but draws everything as black. The cursor is moveable, and does not smear, so the display is rendering-- just not correctly. This is a problem with the xorg driver. The window manager loads though, so go figure (just everything is flat black, so you cant see it). Maybe in time the xorg driver will improve and I can have accellerated xorg driver working. Just not today. fbdev it is.) quite the shame really. I tested wine with a copy of oldschool starcraft. Not quite playable speed on fbdev driver.  Would likely be supremely playable on accellerated xorg driver.  Having accellerated video with wine would open so many doors of opportunity for portable pc gaming. :)

I am using the florence software keyboard app. Touch input is working, but a little quirky on the double tap speed. 8in tablet is a little small for my fingers. Need to get a stylus.

I can now basically completely kill off Android in the background. The framebuffer and the touch input are done with kernel drivers that are builtins, so I can litterally axe all of android's processes once I have the linux userspace started. I am thinking I will make a service script to off all those services, and run it when starting the xserver. That should free up a shitload of memory.

I wonder if I do that, if alsa will work right afterwards.... (the processess clutching the sound device for dear life will be killed, so I wonder if I can better use it once it's free.....)

I am doing general experiments of that nature at the moment. screen writes are much faster. I can watch (silent) youtube videos in firefox now. :)  This is getting a little extreme, but yes-- with latest lnp for linux, I have graphics packs and dfhack working.

This thread seems to be more about getting linux working (well) and less about df working-- but one follows from the other.

Once I get this all configured the way I want, i am gonna be a happy little geek indeed.

Pages: 1 2 [3]