Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wasted Corpses  (Read 962 times)

Xashikolauk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Wasted Corpses
« on: April 01, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

(edit: ignore this post, found it in the wiki *doh*)

Often times it seems my hunting dwarves will get bored halfway through carrying their kill home and run off to do something else, leaving the corpse to rot outside.  None of my dwarves want to pick it up(even though I have idle refuse hauling dwarves) and the hunters never return to it.  Is there any way to motivate my dwarves to pick up the corpses?

[ April 01, 2007: Message edited by: Xashikolauk ]

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wasted Corpses
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »

You can place a refuse pile underneath the corpse and then a dwarf will go and drag it to the butcher shop.

The other option (that requires less micromanagement) is to set the refuse orders (O) to allow dwarves to collect refuse from outside, this can be a pain because for every deer corpse they drag to the stockpile, there will also be tons of dead vermin, withered plants, etc.

Make liberal use of custom stockpiles for the second option. I create a larger-than-necessary stockpile next to my butcher shop that is set to only accept corpses and body parts. Then a large vermin stockpile. And finally, I smaller pile for rotten food/prepared meals/other refuse.

The vermin can create a problem though, if your vermin stockpile is filled with outdoor refuse, your fortress can become a purple miasma-filled mess.

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Dumbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wasted Corpses
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 02:35:00 am »

One thing I've discovered to work is to set all refuse stockpiles to accept only corpses, and then set the dwarves to gather refuse from outside. When one of the dwarves starts doing the corpse hauling job, you can set the refuse pile to accept everything again. This is also useful if you want to butcher the animals killed by the military.