Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Chaos  (Read 1061 times)

Warhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Chaos
« on: December 11, 2007, 02:06:00 am »

So I was trying a new fort in 33e and brought my usual supplies. When I arrived I found that I could not plant anything due to the fact that the bug existed wherein the cavern you dig is considered above ground. I thought that it would not be a big deal and I would have enough time to get food planted in some way.

So I start out by gathering plants. None of the plants I gathered would let me plant them in the farm plots. So I decided on Plan B. I was interested in screw pump and wanted to see if I could use them to irrigate part of my fortress since the brook was close by. So I got to work building and had channels dug, pumps built, windmill erected, all the while my food supplies dwindled. It started with one of my peasants. I was getting job cancellations saying he was hunting for vermin. I figured I better speed things up so I was trying to get as many people to build the irrigation as possible.

I soon found however that only some of my windmills would work. Spent my time trying to configure the axles and gears that I forgot about our little food shortage issue. Soon more and more people were searching for vermin until they started tantruming. Then one by one they started starving to death. I went from 44 to 36 dwarves from starvation before things really got interesting. First a hunter of mine ended up shooting one of my peasants somehow. He was hunting a fox. When I got over to him he was carrying the fox away and my peasant lay slain by a crossbow.

I dismissed this until the next event that sparked off utter chaos. My gem setter Ottankel let out a loud cackle. I went to him in wonder and watched him. He beat a person to death in bed and then entered my main area. He then killed one of my peasants and took over a butcher shop. There he made a dwarven leather cape out of the deceased peasant. Thinking things couldnt possible get worse, my wood crafter went beserk. Soon my 36 remaining dwarves came running out of the entrance for their lives as the woodcrafter chased them down. One by one he would chase down his victim and beat them to death. After 8 murdered dwarves and 4 murdered dogs he came back into the fortress.

Most dwarves were smart enough to make it out into side passages, but he ended up chasing 7 dwarves down a dead end tunnel. 2 died and the rest were able to escape at which point he turned around and chased them out of the tunnel. 3 more dwarves died. As if it isnt bad enough another one goes berserk. This time a peasant. However he dies the moment he leaves the bedroom. Sadly the woodcrafter ends up dieing from thirst from chaseing a horse around ended his murder count at 13 dwarves 4 dogs and various other animals.

Now the fort has 20 inhabitants and they are all hungry with no food. Soon it was at 16 before a third dwarf went beserk. 4 dwarves died from his murder spree before he to died from thirst. The fort now has 9 people all of whom are starving and thirsty. Eventually they too died from thirst and my fort was abandoned.

I guess I should have done a few things differently, by it was too much fun watching people get murdered and having the whole fort in absoulute chaos. Losing certainly was fun in this case.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Chaos
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 02:10:00 am »

That...  Was beautiful.  Simply beautiful.

I commend you good sir, on your astoundingly bad luck.  Keep up the good work.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 05:27:00 am »

Lose for the win!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 03:10:00 pm »

I'm craving for some ghosts to come back and fulfil their grudge^^

TeDDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »

Most excellent.  You are the loser, sir, well done!

coolguy1351

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 05:04:00 pm »

If you have a save file of that, I would give anything for it.