Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Domasmemad, "Guildrein" - Co-Existance  (Read 1720 times)

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Domasmemad, "Guildrein" - Co-Existance
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »

I figure I'll give it a go with story writing. It's not really my forte but I'm sure some out there will like it. Frequent updates will be at night (7 PM - 9 PM), dont expect much from me during the day (work work work). If you want your own Dwarf, feel free to chime in. Currently we sit at:

Miner/Mason
Woodcutter/Carpenter
Building Designer/Engineer
Grower/Herbalist

Why 5? well the 5th is the Miner/Leader (which is myself). The other... well, read on.

6th Limestone, 1051, Early Autumn.
Nosey's Log

It's been a hard first year since we struck the Earth to make our new home. We set up camp just south of the Humans. They didn't really expect us, we just invited ourselves in. We dug in, and went up and down. We set up our farms early on the layer just below the settlement. Mills are churning out brew faster then we can drink it. There's enough Earth and Wood to keep our Carpenter and Mason busy. But there's been no worries, well... We lost our Hunter earlier in the year to a pack of wolves. We shouldn't really keep our guard down. But,so far any Kobolds that have appeared have been quickly dispatched by the local human guards. So at the moment we stand at a win-win. To establish an even greater relationship with the Humans, we decided to build an aboveground outpost to show we want nothing more then a hearty relationship with our much taller brethren.

6th September, 1051
Upu Adreluto, Human Mayor

All was well before those stinking Dwarves appeared. Though I seem to be the only one incredibly angered by this turn of events. Its not so much that they are here, is the way they just thrusted themselves into our lives. 2 months ago, I was walking through the town when a pick came flying out from beneath my feet! I look down, only to see a grubby dirt ridden face of those underground heathens. They then started building up from the ground, like weeds they are. Currently they've built a Warehouse for their lumber, a carpenters workshop and a mason's work shop. They built walls and apparently housed themselves in. The Merchants gossip about the dwarves worksmanship. I couldnt give a were-rats ass about it... I'll be keeping my eyes on them, my guards are always ready for blood.

<picture>

Critique, add Dwarves names, contemplate what outcomes may occur down the line :-)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Domasmemad, "Guildrein" - Co-Existance
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »

I'll take the Miner/Mason.

Name: Dulgoth
Persona: Hard-working, quiet, and seems very suspicious about that fat little human mayor.

I those men cause us trouble, UNDERMINE! Woohoo!

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:22:00 pm »

12th Limestone, 1051
Nosey's Log

Reports of a Dwarven Caravan has reached us. I was expecting the Humans to come over and trade with us first, but they don't seem to want to cooperate with us yet. I send for Dulgoth and our Building Designer to put together a Trade Depot, while I have a talk with the Liaison. I ask for an Anvil, Clothes, and a couple of this and thats. We don't really have a need for alcohol (yet I can definitely use another brew right now), and our food stocks seem to be in order. The Liaison jots down our requests on a large slate of rock. As he begins to speak I lead him about the fort. Showing him the farms, the workshops, back to the farm for some food, then down towards the sleeping chambers. As he babbled off regulations and money spenditures, I slowly drift off into sleep. I wake suddenly, the liaison finally finishes up that he'd like some shoes and some stone crafts out of us. Fair enough. Dulgoth approaches me as I exit on to the surface
"The Traders are here, we have nothing to give really..." he mutters quietly.
"Do they have an Anvil?" I ask, paying no attention to the low tones of my comrade.
"Yes of course, but~"
"Tear it down" I interrupt.
"What?" he raises an eyebrow.
"Tear down the Trade Depot. Do it indiscreetly. Make it out to be faulty designs" I respond, ignoring the complaints from the Building Designer ("But my buildings ever collapse" he whines)
Dulgoth shrugs then adds, "Oh and by the way, that mayor has been watching us from behind the corner of that house". He jerks a thumb over his shoulder. I peer behind him and see a fat man in dull browns duck behind the corner.
"Nevermind him. We have more construction to do, and he's the least of our worries."

12th September, 1051

A Caravan approaches from the South! Our merchants swung into full effect and began setting out their wares. From the looks of it, they appear to be more foul beer guzzling midgets. But there is one difference between these dwarves and the ones taking residence under our feet. Trade Goods and Money. I especially like the latter.

Those Bastards! Who the hell do they think they are! The Caravan passed right through our town, right into the Trade Depot of Guildrein! We have so much to offer, yet they go to that filth hole! Not only do these dwarves steal our land, they steal our profits, and Now they bring Kobold Thieves to our lands!

Not just one Kobold either... Three of them appeared near our town. Taking from OUR merchants!

However, I don't stand alone with the hatred of the dwarves. My loyal guards have now join in with me. However, we cannot take direct actions towards them. The Merchants and the people seem to still like the presence of our stout enemies. I can't see why, I saw them purposely tear down their depot on top of the caravan's goods... I'll continue observing them, waiting for just one major slip up...

That's it for tonight. Might post more tomorrow morning. Will probably post later tomorrow night. Once again, participation is encouraged, so is criticism and question/debate.

[ December 10, 2007: Message edited by: Nos3y ]

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »

An easier way is to just seize the goods. The traders dislike you the same amount from stealing their stuff, but at least you don't need to rebuild the depot.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 11:31:00 pm »

It does give your building designer more experience, on the other hand. Speaking of which: I'll take the Building Designer/Engineer

Name: Viktoria
Persona: Given a human name, Viktoria has always been facinated by humans, although she prefers dwarven company and dwarven beer. She enjoys designing and building contraptions. The more complex, the more fun!

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 08:56:00 am »

16th Limestone, 1051
Nosey's Log

A Human child was found tantruming outside our Farm today. No clue how he got in past us, or why he was down here to begin with. But he's here now. Dulgoth seems to think the mayor sent the child down here to spy on us. I quickly waived the idea away, we had nothing to hide. But then, the Mayor might not know that. I've given the order for Viktoria, our local Engineer, to watch after the child. She has some weird fascination with the tall-folks.

Viktoria's Log
What the hell was I thinking when I accepted this job! He just keeps crying and crying and crying. I tried giving him beer, but now he's just getting angry! Who'd have figured he was a mean drunk! He's flailing about on the floor kicking and screaming! Oh Armok, save me!

Child's Thoughts
I WANNA GO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME! <excessive>
DRINK TASHTE FUNNEH!! I WAN' MY MOMMMMMEEEEEH!!! <Drops>

Currently as of this Morning, this is where we stand. There's not much in terms of mechanics going, so Viktoria is standing around (next to a tantruming child). Dulgoth is building walls up to expand on our aboveground workshops (and making doors). I'm digging out a strip mine. Food is ample, Drinks are too. Still have  Grower, Cook and Carpenter up for takes.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:17:00 am »

I'll take the Cook, then.
Name: Xotes.

EDIT: Forgot the name. Doh.

[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 09:17:00 am »

I'll take the Woodcutter/Carpenter.

His name is Bob. He won't tell the others why he has this name.
He also hates elves, and that's why he's a woodcutter.

Btw, could we get a map?

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 09:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dwarfaholic:
<STRONG>Btw, could we get a map?</STRONG>

[edit] Scratch that: Forgot I loaded partial maps last night.

I cropped the pictures. I'm playing on quite a large map. At the very bottom of the map however, is the beginnings of a river, no Magma, lots of trees, shitloads of cliffsides. So now you have an idea. Here's Topside. Oh yeah, see that guy there, in the upper right. Next to the Maceman and the other guy with the whip? That's our Buddy the Mayor  :)

and right below it is our farm and stockpiles.

[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: Nos3y ]

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

23rd Sandstone, 1051
Nosey's Log

Two of our fellow Founders have finally spoken up. I've been referring to them as "You" and "Those Guys" since we landed here. No clue why I've never asked their names. The Cook is named Xotes, and the carpenter calls himself Bob. Bob... *shrugs*. We move on with building our aboveground outpost, when...

A wave of migrants came in. In this group we have:
Herbalist
Animal Dissector
4x Peasants
Stonecrafter
Lye Maker
Potash Maker
Clothier

Though Peasants are useless at the moment, they can spead up any carrying tasks I need done. I also may have plans for them later on... But at the moment the Clothier and the Stonecrafter are greatly needed the Potash/Lye makers will serve their purpose in due time. The Animal Dissector...I'll figure where to place him in a bit.

I put the stonecrafter to work immediately making trinkets and doo-dads. The Clothier is also using up our clothe to make some clothes for us, which is also very nice. Are numbers will bolster and soon, hopefully with aide from our human friends, our fortress will strive on.

23rd October, 1051

I don't know how they did, I don't care at this point. But those vermin have multiplied! I laughed when they first lost their hunter to a wolf pack. But now, their number holds at 16! But not only that, they keep adding to that building of theirs. I hear them tinkering away in there. My people are having trouble sleeping at night! All they hear is the clacking of tools and constant clicking of a chisel on stone. But yet, almost all of them still accept the half-pints!
"Oh Mayor, they really mean no harm at all" they say...
"They seem reasonable sir, perhaps you could chat with them?" they ask.
I continuously bring up the noise, the invasion of privacy... The Drunken Child!? Yet it all falls on deaf ears. At the moment all I can do is sit back and watch... begrudgingly...

With this update: We have Bob furiously at work, making beds no less. Xotes is not only cooking simple meals, but brewing up a storm. Dulgoth is making doors, as well as mining out new quarters for the migrants with me. And feeling sorry for Viktoria, I place her on Stone Detailing duty. Sorry Vik, Defense at the moment is on short supply so your handy work with mechanisms is at minimal priority. I do have plans however for a handy trap in our deep southern Entrance (the one that leads to the River, if you need a picture I'll put one up.)

[ December 11, 2007: Message edited by: Nos3y ]

Nos3y

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 03:55:00 pm »

3rd Granite, 1052
Nosey's Log

Winter has gone and past. Nothing of interest to note on. Our peasants aren't peasants anymore. Two of them are on their way to becoming Wrestlers. I have no idea why I ordered for them to take place in the military... but I had a strong feeling that I might need them down the line. The other two have trained into a Tanner/Leatherworker and Butcher, respectively. On a side note, our first floor of the outside outpost is completed. Dulgoth is placing Floor/Ceiling on the outpost as we speak. Xotes is now dedicated to cooking primarily, until Bob puts together some more barrels for alcohol. Viktoria has finished one of the 5 Living Quarters (4 - 4 space rooms), she continues on...though I can hear her muttering about how she's suppose to be making world renown Rube Dwarfburg Devices of Death. You can't please all the dwarves all of the time I suppose...

How we stand as of Early spring: Everything is building up quickly, I have to start building roads to attract...well... Humans? Elves (ugh)? Apparently our next door neighbors dont want to trade with us...yet. Up for grabs are the following:

Wrestler x 2
Fisherdwarf/Cleaner (Previously Dissector)
Grower x2
Tanner/Leatherworker (Previously Peasant)
Butcher (Previously Peasant)
Stoneworker
Potash Maker
Lye Maker
Clothier

Pick away!
Please feel free to comment, criticize, and/or add a name to the list. Oh, and I feel comfortable with how everything is working at the moment, so suggestions of projects are also welcomed.