Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quantum Stockpiles suddenly not working in LNP 0.42.05-r01  (Read 2287 times)

kailys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Quantum Stockpiles suddenly not working in LNP 0.42.05-r01
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:48:51 pm »

I'm using PeridexisErrant's cutting edge pack.
Since I updated I created a new fort and its quantum stockpiles are not working. Dwarves don't seem to be loading the carts.

Anyone experiencing anything similar?

Can provide a save if anyone's curious.

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum Stockpiles suddenly not working in LNP 0.42.05-r01
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 12:01:47 am »

I had a sorta similar issue in 42.06 when dwarves would just fill up the feeder stockpiles without loading the vehicles for months on end. But eventually they got around to doing it. They're doing fine for my QSPs for ores, clay and sand, but the non-economic stone QSP and the block QSP are lagging behind. So maybe wait a few months, preferably keeping a bunch of haulers relatively free for that period, and see how it goes.

Edit: Ok it seems I forgot to pause my fort and basically about a month passed while I was surfing the net. Now all the QSPs are working fine, everything is getting put into the vehicle automatically. So just give the dwarves some time and see if it all works out, if not then it might be an issue.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:04:22 am by Spinning Fly »
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 03:01:16 am »

I haven't seen any difference between mine cart QS' in 0.42.05 compared to 0.40.24, possibly apart from the morons dumping wheelbarrows from stone stockpiles into mine carts (probably related to wheelbarrows listed as stone in the stockpile listing, at least the trade one), take it out to put it back in the stockpile, ...

As Spinning Fly mentioned, loading mine carts seem to be a lower priority job than to haul most anything, so it's easy to get th QS to stall. I always have an early problem with a stalling farming QS stalling so crops wither in the fields unless I add a (not always) temporary farming produce feeder stockpile (I get a flood of stuff early on because I scour the surface for seeds).

kailys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 12:50:03 pm »

Thanks for posting!
If they're working for you it must be something wonky that's going on in my fort. I'll continue investigating :)
I've got a bunch of idle dwarves and they're not cleaning up the mess of boulders which is very annoying to me :P

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 02:16:35 pm »

- Do the idle dwarves have the stone hauling labor enabled?
- Do you have wheelbarrows assigned to the stone stockpile? If you do, the maximum number of stone hauling jobs is the number of wheelbarrows assigned. It's also been said the max number is actually reduced further to the number of wheelbarrows actually provided to that stockpile (i.e. assigned: 3, produced: 0 -> 0 acctually provided -> no hauling).
- Do you have the stone stockpile taking from links only?
- Do you have burrows that restrict your dorfs from reaching the stones and/or the stockpile?

Also note that the DF hauling job selection used to be stack based, i.e. the latest stone produced (i.e. mined out) is hauled first, leaving the ones cluttering up your workshop among the last ones to be dealt with. I think the selection order has been modified somewhat, but there is still very much a stack logic in effect.

What's the level of "annoying to me"?
- It's unsightly!
- The boulders are in the way of my doing XYZ, so I can't do that before they're gone!

In the latter case there are a couple of work arounds:
- Build a floor underneath each bounder out of that boulder. Gets rid of it without a lot of hauling (not good to have magma safe boulders clogging up your magma pump stack, but you may already have enough magma safe stone for the time being, for instance).
- Designate them for dumping and make sure you have a dump zone nearby (and no other zone). That's the method I use to get rid of and recover boulders produced when I dig out a well. Leaving them inside when the water is released into it is unsightly and cannot be undone with a reasonable effort without cheating, and if you don't forbid all of them you can be sure some of the lazy buggers who've done nothing for a season suddenly gets the idea that it's time to haul those boulders out of the well before they're too wet (or something).

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 03:36:38 pm »

I had a sorta similar issue in 42.06 when dwarves would just fill up the feeder stockpiles without loading the vehicles for months on end. But eventually they got around to doing it. They're doing fine for my QSPs for ores, clay and sand, but the non-economic stone QSP and the block QSP are lagging behind. So maybe wait a few months, preferably keeping a bunch of haulers relatively free for that period, and see how it goes.

Edit: Ok it seems I forgot to pause my fort and basically about a month passed while I was surfing the net. Now all the QSPs are working fine, everything is getting put into the vehicle automatically. So just give the dwarves some time and see if it all works out, if not then it might be an issue.

I am so glad you said this: I've been going insane trying to get QSPs to work. I thought I was doing something wrong, but couldn't figure out what; now, I'll just wait a couple months and see if they start working.
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'