Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: narrow road trails?  (Read 1385 times)

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
narrow road trails?
« on: March 28, 2007, 07:17:00 am »

Every once in a while, it happens that the scattered plus'es indicating a functional road do not spread across the whole width of the road.

This does not appear to be any problem, the human wagons still arrive. Yet I wonder if it's supposed to convey any meaning.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
Re: narrow road trails?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 08:33:00 am »

It's always 3 wide. That is all they require. building five is entirely cosmetic.

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 09:41:00 am »

Rakoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 10:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by schnobs:
<STRONG>Just look at this and tell me what you see. http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Image:Another_road.png</STRONG>

I got something like that on my newest fort's road...  However.  There is a frickin' tree dead-center blocking the trail-off, so I need to recreate the road.  -Facepalm.-

qwip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 10:12:00 am »

I had heard/read that there should be 3 rows of plusses trailing off the west side of the screen. If one or more disappears, I thought it meant that the 3-wide road continuation was interrupted.
But I have no experience with 5-wide roads.

Also, if your trade depot is inside your fortress, check to make sure you don't have any cavern floor that has converted to mud/dirt (after a tree or shrub spawned after a flood). You may have to bridge over that spot. I've had that happen after using my flood defense.

qwip

Efficiency is intelligent laziness

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

If it only shows one line leading off, it means the route is disconnected from the trade depot in some way. This could be caused by a number of things.

If you have no trade depot, it will show this. If you have a gap (even just 1 tile) in the road, it will show this. The gap can also be a single unsmoothed tile (or muddy tile) along the route to the trade depot. If you have a lot of stone on the ground still, you may need to either haul it off or go by every square slowly to ensure they are all smoothed. I had this problem before and it turned out to be a single tile in the center of my 5 wide road that the smoothing had been cancelled on somehow (I think an animal had caused one engraver to cancel a tile).

This can also be caused by raised bridges, if you have your drawbridge up the road will be blocked off and sometimes the wagons will bypass the site. Sometimes they will still show with the drawbridge up, however, so i'm not sure entirely what goes on there. The one line road will show up when you save and load after having the bridge up, or rebuild the trade depot with the bridge up. It won't show all 3 tiles leading off again until you rebuild the depo with the bridge down or save/load with the bridge down.

One easy way to determine if it was a unsmoothed tile is to rebuild the depot closer to the edge of the map and see if the road shows up correctly, then you can progressively build it closer to where you want it until you isolate where the problem is.

I have also found that trees off the edge of the map DO NOT affect the road. If you can't cut them, they are off the map and will not stop the road. I had thought this myself on one occasion, and it caused me a lot of hassle, until I finally realised that lo and behold it was a single muddy tile on the way to the river. Once I built a bridge over that one tile (and then destroyed and rebuilt the depot to get it to re-check for road) it showed up correctly, even with the tree.

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

I don't see these narrow trails for the first time and think the human wagons always reached me. I'll watch and report.

But yes, the trade depot has been relocated into the cave. There's several tiles (quite a lot, actually) of permanent mud. I designated the entire corridor to be detailed, all tiles flashed with plus'es, yet the mud remains. The floor didn't see any water in years, yet the mud remains. When I "k" over these tiles it only reports mud, not a word about any underlying rock.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

hm. tried building a 1x1 stone road over it? just a thought.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:14:00 pm »

Yeah, mud is perminent. If roads don't work, a one tile bridge will...

The mud comes from dead plants, as plants don't grow on smothed squares you can avoid ill-placed perma-mud with enough effort...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »

Yeah, I always detail the floor as I am going to the river (in case it floods) and have a door ready to block seasonal floods on the other side until I can detail all the floors. I don't like having one tile bridges along my path, and I like having my trade depot across the river  :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 08:03:00 am »

Well, I was happy that I had an initial flood and started farming on the corridor right away. Looks like I'm now paying the price: many of the mud tiles are so far from the river that the initial flood is the only explanation.

But, one-tile bridges? Puh-lease. I'll make one large bridge of the entire corridor.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

And use it to smash incoming wagons!  Muahahahahahhahahahahahah!!!1!!eleven!
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 02:59:00 pm »

quote:
And use it to smash incoming wagons! Muahahahahahhahahahahahah!!!1!!eleven!

this gives me ideas of launching wagons like they were flung out of a catapult.....
....and aiming for those kobald theives

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

schnobs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 03:53:00 pm »

Now that's what I'd call an energetic start on their travel.