Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My well isn't really well.  (Read 3800 times)

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My well isn't really well.
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 02:21:52 pm »

Pumping isn't really necessary. Like Findulidas said, all you need to do is to dig a little 2-z-level deep trench next to the lake. Preferably let the the water flow through fortifications first before it enters the well-trench, the last thing you need at this point is a FB making it into the fort via the plumbing.

Submerged fortifications can be freely swam through.  Floodgates are also smashable.  The only "safe" way to do this (from the side) is to use a raising bridge in place of a bridge.  Basically dig everything out but one square to connect the cistern to the cave-lake.  Then build your bridge here.  Once your bridge is connected to a lever, channel that last square out from above.  Close bridge when full. 

There are other ways to secure your cistern with grates, but you have to follow somewhat complex rules preventing things like grates from being smashed from below. 

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 10:25:27 pm »

im pretty sure that dwarves wont use muddy water to clean wounds, they only accept fresh or salt water, statgent but non muddied water can be used but will cause infection
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 06:12:54 am »

Submerged fortifications can be freely swam through.

Oh.....right.....oh shit. I completely forgot that.

So I guess the best option is a raising bridge system like you suggested, which can be raised to keep out FBs when they do come, plus a non-wooden grate to keep the crocs and toads out when there isn't any FB threat.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 12:29:41 pm »

I remember at one point wells purified your water - if this is not already the case in the current version. I'm not sure if muddy water actually disqualifies well water derived from it as usable.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 01:20:23 pm »

I remember at one point wells purified your water - if this is not already the case in the current version. I'm not sure if muddy water actually disqualifies well water derived from it as usable.

pumps purify water for certain, not sure about wells
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 06:40:33 am »

pumps purify water for certain, not sure about wells

I didn't know this, but wiki says "Dwarves will drink water from a well over salt water, give it to sick dwarves and use it to clean wounds. Even if you do not designate the well as a water source (which is unnecessary anyway), the dwarves will still use it." Assuming this hasn't changed, then wells do purify saltwater at least.

But this doesn't work for stagnant water from murky pools (which has to be purified using a pump) or muddy water from cavern lakes etc. (which can simply be diverted into a 2 z-level deep reservoir).
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2016, 09:05:35 pm »

Wells don't purify.  They just provide a (safer) way to get water from a water source. 

Zoning the water source merely provides a way to keep dwarves from getting into trouble.  Arguably it's a redundant feature with the advent of burrows.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 03:01:58 am »

I strongly disagree burrows are much of a substitute for water zones. I know from first hand experience that civilian alerts negate individual burrows within the civilian alert one, releasing the burrowees to roam freely to targets within the civilian alert burrow. I wouldn't be surprised if a water collection burrow would similarly screw up a civilian alert so the dorfs still go to the water collection burrow even during sieges.
Also, using a burrow for water collection would require you to use additional burrows for every single dwarf you want to be able to collect water to allow them to perform their duties, as well as eat, sleep, etc. to block them from all gathering in the water collection burrow and starve to death.
Pages: 1 [2]