Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A tale of Fire and Woe.  (Read 1040 times)

Khyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A tale of Fire and Woe.
« on: March 26, 2007, 07:49:00 am »

Our tale begins harmlessly enough. Life in Wheelsmoke goes on as it does every day. The military trains in the barracks, the cooks make feasts in the kitchens, the miners complain that there's no need to mine anymore thanks to the goblin's smelted down iron, and the metalworkers tell them all how lucky they are since they're overworked. Almost a full 150 dwarves live in the fortress, going about their daily lives as usual. Life was good, life was prosperous. Everyone lived well in this fort.

When something went wrong.

I never saw what caused the fire. I never saw how the legendary brewer managed to set himself ablaze. However, beleiving himself to be impervious to the pain (And at Unbeleivably tough, I was almost tempted to agree with him), he went to work as normal. And brewed up a very fine barrel of dwarven rum, before realising he was in fact NOT fine, and tore off screaming down the hallway.

Unfortunately, the barrel he had created had decided to combust as well. As did several haulers who came to pick it up. And all of them tore off screaming. One of them decided to try to douse himself in the well, but couldn't quite figure out how to, and simply sat next to it waiting to die. Another felt that the soldiers in the barracks would be trained in how to extinguish the flames. Unfortunately, the soldiers didn't, and the hapless dwarf attempted to do what he did best when facing danger - to hide. In this case, under the highly flammable wooden beds in the barracks. Of course, to the masterfully trained military of Wheelsmoke, a simple thing like fire is no deterrent from a good night's rest. Unfortunately for the military, they're just as flammable, if not moreso. Our military fell quite quickly, as more of them slept in the burning beds, sparred with burning friends, and caught on fire to blaze themselves.

Soon nearly the whole fortress was burning merrily, all the dwarves inside either running around screaming, or simply waiting to die. Many tantrumed in their final moments, unable to accept their fate. The mason was lucky - his death was swift, crushed in a horrible cave-in after the craftsdwarf nearby destroyed the stone support deep within the stone stockpile, one of the few places of non-flammable refuge in the fort.

It took nearly 15 years for Wheelsmoke to reach prosperity, and less than a month for the entire place to go into ruins. Not a single dwarf was spared the wrath of the ever-greedy flames, and as the smoke wafted through the corridors, the empty halls fell into ruin...

The moral of the story : When can we get a dwarven volunteer fire department?   :)

[ March 26, 2007: Message edited by: Khyron ]

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
Re: A tale of Fire and Woe.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:34:00 am »

I have learned how to keep ONE of the causes of this from happening.

If you use lava channels, seal them all off with statues, and if you use lava to kill stuff, leave the lava ON until the smoke is gone (and the item on fire is destroyed).

BoltsFogs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »

This is an epic tale of tragedy and comedy. If I could cry and laugh at the same time I would. But seriously Khyron, you have my sympathies. Can you all imagine, a giant hose of rope reed or leather or whatever attached to the well and several dwarves running around with the hose dousing fires and putting out the blaze, when "Well guys, we only put out one of the 50 fires in our beloved fort, we earned a meal!" they drop their fire hose and skip off to the kitchen, where a passing dwarf on fire walks over the hose and sets it on fire, destroying your one chance to save everyone.

At least Khyron, Wheelsmoke lived up to it's name.

[ March 26, 2007: Message edited by: BoltsFogs ]

he cave river is overflowing.
Momuz Udibast cancels sleep:dangerous terrain.

Zomg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 05:53:00 pm »

It's a good idea to set up some failsafe methods to water flood sections of your fortress in this version. When a fire imp makes a burning peasant corpse in your smelter/forge bins, you'll be pretty happy to have thought ahead. It also gives you plausible deniability when all your nobles drown.

Xeirxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 12:53:00 am »

I suspect it would be a good idea to have one room in the back of the fort that had a lockable entrance, and a single squad that had every required profession within it, and one lever that releases water through the whole fort. That way you could flood it and get on with it, and if anyone died you wouldn't be stuck.

saijonas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 07:40:00 am »

maybe Toady could just replace the "fire" label with "hanta virus".